Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I notice that my bike was running warmer than normal and discovered that my coolant level diminished. There were no obvious leaks, so I discovered that steamed-coolant is escaping out of the left crankcase breather tube. Before I just start a teardown, any ideas????????????:praying:

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

If water is getting into one of the cylinders, it could be turned into steam and blown down past the piston rings and coming out the tube.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Notice a knocking noise while at idle?

Read your plugs.

Pull your plugs and look at them closely. Your mixture should be off on at least one cylinder and the plug may tell you which one it is. There should be some indication of the compression ratio climbing on at least one cylinder as well by a plug color variance.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

bfdwkdk wrote:
I notice that my bike was running warmer than normal and discovered that my coolant level diminished. There were no obvious leaks, so I discovered that steamed-coolant is escaping out of the left crankcase breather tube.
That's bad! Never say never, but I've not seen a blown head gasket put water into the crankcase. As said look at all you plugs and see if one looks as though its been steam cleaned. That's the indicator of a blown head gasket. If your leaking coolant into the crankcase then the oil level will rise and the oil will change color. I hear it'll look Chocolaty. I think you could have a cracked block. Don't ride her if there is water / coolant in the crankcase. It can cause bearings to lock up.

Hope its something easy.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Ethylene glycol mixed with oil looks something like cottage cheese, and has the consistency of glue. drain the oil and coolant immediately, put in clean oil, and pure distilled water only in the cooling system. Water in oil is bad, ethlene glycol in oil is 100 times worse. It will promptly plug up the oil passages and destroy the engine. I don't see why it couldn't be a head gasket, there are both oil and coolant passages between the case and heads, seems to me a bad head gasket could allow coolant to leak into the oil. But, I have to admit I'm fairly new to Goldwings.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Yes, a head gasket could leak coolant oil into the but IMHO that's the exception to head gasket failure. Normally the high pressure in the cylinder when the spark plug fires blows it out between the cylinder and the water ports. The coloant pressure could also force coolant into the water. I wouldn't be surprised if that's whats happening.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well. the plugs show a little richness and there is no water /oil mixture. Thanks for the replies, but it beginning to look like a crack block. How this could of happen remains a mystery. I guess it's time to get to work:thumbsdown:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

A cracked block is extremely rare, don't write it off just yet. Do the Radiator hoses get very hard when the engine is running? I think you may only have a failing head gasket.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

*I changed the head gaskets and problem ceased. The old gaskets only showed small cracks .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.