Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After having an intake crack when re-installing the carbs on my 82 gl 1100, I see that the alluminum is like 'pot metal'.. I've had several issues with this type of garbage metal in my years and would love to change every single iota of it off my ride.

Hence the question:

Is there a possible issue with having my machinist friend duplicate the stock alluminum intake manifolds with steel pipe instead...there is alot of heat transferred from the head I'm sure...just unsure as to whether the alluminum is performing a more efficient heat to air transfer than steel would. Or if there is another issue with heat warping etc..

Thoughts, experience..words of wisdom all accepted..

-Lyrk

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

I must say that I completely agree with you about the alluminium:waving:! I curse itevery time I need to tighten a screw. I destroyed and re-threadedseveral threads before I learned how that crap is sensitive. The reducing of weight?Well, Boss Hoss weighs 590KG DRY and nothing is wrong with it, without alluminium! Now, as for replacing the mannifolds with the steel ones, I personaly think that it wouldn't hurt anything. The alluminium probably transfers the heat better than the steel, but I don't think that the difference issoappreciable. But that is just my opinion!

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

This would be a neat (expensive) project, for sure. With steel runners I believe the bike will be cold-blooded for a longer time than with the aluminum, as steel conducts heat slower.

Next, ask yourself how often you think you might disturb the manifold while you own the bike? Will you be removing it before selling the bike? Will you have to install the aluminum ones at that time?

As you know, there is always some condensation on metal as it warms up to a temp greater than atmospheric. The steel will want to oxidize (rust). Is there a plan better than spray paint to prevent that?

As a machinist (retired) myself, I can tell you that most all metals have their own unique handling requirements; their individual traits, some always pro, some con. Engineers must always choose design criteria based on cost, compatibility, form, fit & function. I think I left some out there, but, what I'm saying is...most changes are really trade-offs, where one problem is solved but new considerations are inevitably created...:waving:

On the other hand, if you CAN do this, and you WANT to do this, go for it, hey? ;)

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Right on, thanks for the meat to chew on !!

The New Owner, I agree about the weight..I'd trade it almost regardless to get rid of the aluminum !

FenderHead, you must have esp because you nailed what is in my mind..

I have ordered a part from langely and it will be here by next week. In the meantime I'm going to see about getting a set of steel made. I plan on owning this bike till one of us dies. So I might as well see what works for both of us !

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Well, Boss Hoss weighs 590KG DRY and nothing is wrong with it, without alluminium!
Well now, that's comparing apples to watermelons. The early Goldwings have what...75 horsepower or so? And the BossHoss is...;)

Bottom line, weight savings on the early GW is a good thing as it's really weak to begin with.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Is the aluminum think enough to hone it out and make it smooth. Even if it has some bad spots, can they not be heliarc and filled than then polished. I remember doing this to an 53 MGTD I had as a kid, with a 327 chev and three deuces. I polished for days to get the impurities out after hiliarcing them where needed.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

After having an intake crack when re-installing the carbs on my 82 gl 1100
I gotta ask, what are you doing that caused the aluminum to crack?
I've taken many of these manifolds off and on and with considerable force off the carb boots and have never cracked one.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

That's the kicker...I did nothing untoward to cause the failure...but after discovering the composition I'm not surprised. I've no faith in this metal beyond the factory floor...and am in fact surprised it survived the 27 yrs.

·
Administrator
26,988 Posts
imported post

dan filipi wrote:
After having an intake crack when re-installing the carbs on my 82 gl 1100
I gotta ask, what are you doing that caused the aluminum to crack?
I've taken many of these manifolds off and on and with considerable force off the carb boots and have never cracked one.
Really, they are only cast aluminum but plenty tough to do the job they were designed to do.

Lyrkin, are you going to get rid of the aluminum block and heads, the wheels, the final drive housing and whatever else is cast aluminum?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Is the aluminum think enough to hone it out and make it smooth. Even if it has some bad spots, can they not be heliarc and filled than then polished. I remember doing this to an 53 MGTD I had as a kid, with a 327 chev and three deuces. I polished for days to get the impurities out after hiliarcing them where needed.

The crack is complete...the intake is now twice the intake it was..

There is a small chance that it could be welded...but I'm not going to bother..thereplacement part is paid for and should be here within the week. In the meantime I will begin researching therequirements for a real metal replacement set.

I have no problem with the engine block or heads, but a part that will be failing on me...absolutely I would prefer it to be able to withstand maintanance.

As for requiring a torquewrench, proper tools mean all the difference.

edit for triple spacing (again)

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
Well, Boss Hoss weighs 590KG DRY and nothing is wrong with it, without alluminium!
Well now, that's comparing apples to watermelons. The early Goldwings have what...75 horsepower or so? And the BossHoss is...;)

Bottom line, weight savings on the early GW is a good thing as it's really weak to begin with.

First I must salute myfellow, is the deal about drinkingslivovitza over here still valid?:waving:

Now, Iagreethat Boss Hoss hasabout 8 times larger enginedisplacement that an early GL,but my comparisionwas not about the performance of the two bikes, that can't be compared of course. My point was that it's not a problem to handle a large weight on the two wheels if it's balanced good and Boss Hoss confirmsthat explicitly as thereis 502HP to be controlled, still easier thansome mid-size bikes. And about the engine power, over here we have a lot of carswithevenless power than an early Wing (Yugo 45, Golf I, Punto I, etc.)which allhave a nice performance despite they weigh about 1000KG (about twice than aGL1000 would weigh with the iron engine)! So, I personaly would like if Hondadesignedthe bike different so thatmy bike weighs double than it does but to get rid of the aluminium. However, that is just my opinion, I don't claim that I'm right!

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
imported post

I think you would have some major fuel curve issues if you made a manifold from steel. The steel will absorb the heat and cause a fuel heating chamber instead of a fuel mixing chamber. I think vapor lock would enter the picture also. If you want to get something different. Have someone fab up a sheet metal aluminum intake. You will probibly have a grand or better in it. But you could enlanrge the runners and correct the angle the fuel flows to the heads. I think that a 5 to 10 horse power gain could be found.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Yes, the heating is a valid concern...talkin to my 'guy' here last nite he mentioned an insulation jacket.. We are planning to start tinkering..will definitely keep the loop open.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Lyrkin wrote:
That's the kicker...I did nothing untoward to cause the failure...but after discovering the composition I'm not surprised. I've no faith in this metal beyond the factory floor...and am in fact surprised it survived the 27 yrs.
The one thing almost none of us could ever answer on bikes with PO's is..."was she ever in any kind of accident, or did it ever fall over into other objects or bikes??"

I layed down once, under mine, and looked around...there are enough goughes and scrapes to make me believe that she has definitely been 'off-road' a time or two...:shock:

I took a '83 Magna 1100 off-roading one time, on the unpaved trail to the top of Rocky Mountain National Park. After crossing a few wash-outs & what-nots...I admit she did bottom out a little here & there...I had to rest over a coffee & donuts when I finally got to that tourist shop at the top!! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.