Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
luckey9
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My 1500 has began to develop low speed wobble, tires are new this year.Raised the front wheel & noted a slight in/out movement when pulling on the front forks. Attempted to tighten the steering head nut & only able to get a slight turn. Checked and still noted about same forward/backward movement. Should the steering nut be tightened with the weight on the front wheel. I did it with a jack under the frame & with an open wrench could not get much of a turn on the nut.
Thanks.
luckey9

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
imported post

Did you try tightening the lock nuts under the steering stem or the big nut on top?
You need to tighten the ones under the top triple tree clamp.

I would grease the bearing while you're at it.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,277 Posts
imported post

Have you got the manual? You shouldn't just start tightening nuts. There is usually a specific sequence oftorqueing & re-tourqueing a steering head.

·
Senior Guru
4,298 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the fork bushings may be getting loose. Or, the head bearing nut may need to be re-adjusted. Did you just try the jam nut?

·
luckey9
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

thank you this is the link i was looking for, seems like a fair job however beats dismantling all that plastic. Only have a month or so left of riding up here in NL,Canada, so will look at the job then. I only have the CD manual & it is not very informative for most maintenance.
Appreciate all the reply's.
luckey9

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

I know some bike wrenches and they all say that the quoted torque settings for steering are something they use as a guide only. They go by feel mostly and with the front end off the ground they swing the bars from side to side and nip the nut down a bit at a time until they feel it is right.

I guess what that means is it probably takes a bit of experience to get it right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.