Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Now that I have finished with the back wheel, I am replacing the steering head bearings, but I've hit a snag .......... How do you remove the upper bearing race?

The lower one knocked out easily, but there is nowhere to get anything in to knock the upper one out. Is there a secret to this that I don't know about?

Thanks,

Gilbert

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

GilbertGL wrote:
Now that I have finished with the back wheel, I am replacing the steering head bearings, but I've hit a snag .......... How do you remove the upper bearing race?

The lower one knocked out easily, but there is nowhere to get anything in to knock the upper one out. Is there a secret to this that I don't know about?
Gilbert, I haven't ever done an 1100 but have done the 1200 (probably about the same).. I used a long drift rod that I sharpened nice & flat on the end. That worked for one bearing race & for theupper racethere just wasn't enough race lip exposed to drive on so I found a large washer that was about the same diameter as the center of the race then dropped that into place & put 3- 3/8" welds on thewasher to the race. After the welds cooled the race just pulled right out as the race shrunk when the welds cooled.

Twisty

from the 1200 manual--

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Twisty, those pictures were really helpful.

I cut up a piece of aluminum plate to resemble the Honda tool in picture 7.11a. That gave me something hit and the race just popped out.

Now, I've discovered that the new bearings are a tight fit on the steering stem, so the whole steering stem is going in the freezer for a while!

Thanks for your help,

Gilbert

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.