Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 93 1500 Aspencade with 130,000 miles racked up on it. I have put the last 80,000 miles on the bike. Didn't notice any problems until the last 10,000 miles or so. The steering hangs up in stop and go or slow traffic. I don't notice any problem at higher speeds. I suspect this is a problem with the bearings in the steering head. I have done oil changes and minor repairs on the bike and have a small shop in my garage. Is this something better left up to a dealer to repair? Are there any special tools needed to a accomplish the bearing replacement. Does anyone know how long these bearings usually last on a 1500? Could this be caused by something else? I would appreciate any help anyone has to offer. Thanks

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
imported post

I think you are on the right track. Jack the front wheel off the ground and turn the steering side to side and feel for any roughness and push and pull on the wheel to check for looseness in the bearings.
I thought there was a tutorial on doing that somewhere on here but I couldn't find it.
If you have a manual and are mechanically inclined you should be able to do it.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the information. I jacked the front wheel off the ground and turned the steering from side to side and felt just a minor tug on the handlebars. Next I checked for pinched cables. No problem with the cables. I will attempt to replace the bearings myself. I am mechanically inclined but I was just concerned about any special tools that might be needed. Might as well rebuild the front shocks while I'm in there. Have you had any firsthand experience with rebuild kits for the front shocks for a 1500?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.