Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steering head triple tree 4-6 degrees, GL1500?

6K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  SA Wingrider 
#1 ·
imported post

My brother just purchased an 89 Gl1500 that had a side car. We pulled all the brackets and stuff off as he did not want the side car. We are wondering if we should put a stock triple tree back on?I would guess that it has a 4-6 degree triple tree on it and we are thinking about putting a stock one back on. He found a stock 89 triple tree on Ebay for about $65 with freight. I'm thinking that we should put new steering stem bearings while we have it apart. Where is the best place to buy new ones? I see the tapered roller ones on Ebay for about $40. We are thinking that after we get the other triple tree off some one might want it for a trike. How can we tell what degree the one we take off is? We are thinking this is a winter project. Is it a monumental job to change this? I realize this a lot of questions but I know someone out there has the info.
Thanks!!!
Bill

#3 ·
imported post

if it ain't broke???? i'm with b&d

#4 ·
imported post

What happened to the sidecar? The mounts should have been pulled and went with it.

#5 ·
imported post

Dennis
I know its not stock because the PO told us it was not and we have compared it to my 89 and its kicked out 2-3 inches. Its not very nimble at slow speeds and has a large turning radius.

Bagmaster
I pulled all the brackets and hardware and mounts. The PO has the sidecar as my Brother did not want it. I think its still for sale.
Bill

#6 ·
imported post

Unless the rake is giving you problems why change it? If it is a CNC machined block of aluminum alloy then guaranteed it is a racked triple tree. but if it is black it's probably stock, just check it out for sure. But as I said earlier, why change it unless it's giving you problems. Course if you do take it off I'm sure you can sell it for several hundred. Another thing to look at is to see if it has tube extensions screwed into the top of the forks. As if it is racked it is also extended. Unless the triple tree is made with a dropped offset in it.

#7 ·
imported post

When I do steering stem bearings I buy an All Balls kit from my local independent bike repair shop. I'd say it is a one day job to change it out. I don't know about a 1500 but the 1100 takes two different spanner sockets during reassembly. You'll also have to pull and press the lower bearing off and on or take it to a machine shop. Since you'll have the replacement triple tree already it can be done before hand. The upper and lower outer races will also need to be replaced. There're not difficult but if you haven't done anything like them before they can be a little intimidating.

I've never had anything to do with a trike or a side car rig. Every triple tree I've done or seen was off a two wheeler and kept the tubes in line with the steering stem. I'd guess they would be zero degrees. If the PO did change it to get more rake I'd definitely get a stock one back in there. I would think that to tell what degree it is you would have to measure the angle where the steering stem and the fork tube meet if they were extended.

LOL

#8 ·
imported post

Get rid of that extra rake! Replace with stock fork, find a local Timken dealer and show'em your balls, they know what size you need or... use the eBay Chinese version of roller bearings (maybe about $20 more for the USA) Use a good marine grease

#9 ·
imported post

morram wrote:
Get rid of that extra rake! Replace with stock fork, find a local Timken dealer and show'em your balls, they know what size you need or... use the eBay Chinese version of roller bearings (maybe about $20 more for the USA) Use a good marine grease
Why do you say "Get rid of that extra rake!" if you havea reason that it is going to do damage or other, then you should state it, not leave it unknown.:cool:

#10 ·
imported post

I really appreciate all the info and advice that you people have offered. I think we would like to return the bike to stock form as it was. My brother has ridden my 89 and feels this is the way he would like his to be. This bike needs some work as it has 100K miles.
The seafoam seems to have made it run good. Thats GREAT Stuff !!! New EliteIIIs have made a difference in ride as the old tires were worn flat in the center. I'll probably have more questions as we go along so I would like to say THANKS!!! beforehand.:clapper::clapper::clapper:
Bill

#11 ·
imported post

Ogrebro wrote:
I think we would like to return the bike to stock form as it was. My brother has ridden my 89 and feels this is the way he would like his to be. beforehand.:clapper::clapper::clapper:
Bill
That is good enough reason. When you get started there are lots of people here that can direct you in the right way if you have questions. Good luck and let us know how it goes.:)

#12 ·
imported post

Bill

I have been making my living with Sidecars for over 30 years and of course more recently Trikes. You are absolutely correct in not wanting to ride it with the so called "raked" triple trees. I have had this conversation hundreds of times. People tend to refer to the front end as "raked" but in fact a "raked" front end has had the steering stem modified on the frame. The purpose of the modified trees for sidecars and trikes is to reduce the "trail" to provide lighter steering as a three wheeler. I can tell you from experience that riding the 1500 as a two wheeler with the modified trees will cause it to want to stand up in corners. For the purpose of identifying the angle change in the trees you are removing the easiest way is to identify the manufacturer. Years ago when Champion sidecars decided to make available modified trees they decided on a six degree change on that bike. When another manufacturer decided they needed to make them also they had a customer go the Champion and buy a set they could copy. When they installed them on a test bike they weren't ready for the sudden decrease in steering effort and their test rider scared himself with them. Because of this they went back to only four degrees and as more manufacturers got in on a good thing they all had their own idea of how many degrees they were comfortable with. Feel free to contact me if I can be on any help. B

#13 ·
imported post

sparrowhawwk wrote:
Bill

I have been making my living with Sidecars for over 30 years and of course more recently Trikes. You are absolutely correct in not wanting to ride it with the so called "raked" triple trees. I have had this conversation hundreds of times. People tend to refer to the front end as "raked" but in fact a "raked" front end has had the steering stem modified on the frame. The purpose of the modified trees for sidecars and trikes is to reduce the "trail" to provide lighter steering as a three wheeler. I can tell you from experience that riding the 1500 as a two wheeler with the modified trees will cause it to want to stand up in corners................

Thank you for a excellent explanation. My last bike that I modified I did just that cut the neck at the fork tube and welded it back in at a6 degree "rake". In present day, providing a raked tree is virtually the same, the extension again lifts the bike so you don't increase the down force (can't remember the correct word) and provides a better trail and lighter steering which is good with the additional wheel. Yes, with the two wheel version it did just that it did want to stand up in the corners as you have said but that too is not entirely bad. As long as you are not racing.

Again, thank you for your explanation. You said it much better than I could have.:clapper:

#14 ·
imported post

One of the fellows who lives near me has a 1500 with a side hack. Recently on a 140 mile ride with him and a few other 'Wingers he was riding his bike without the hack. His fork has a 6 degree rake. He couldn't stay with us on some of the twisties and was complaining about how he should have ridden his 1200 with a normal fork. Apparently he doesn't feel his sidecar bike handles very well without the hack because of the raked fork. From what he said and what I saw I'd agree, go for a standard steering stem. New bearings would be a good idea as long as you're at it. You'll probably find it's nearly impossible to get the lower bearing and race off your old stem without damaging it any way.

#15 ·
imported post

Actually, Paul, he did about 300 miles that day, and was he wore out. He couldn't come close to keeping up with us in the twistys. And he's a pretty experienced rider. He may make the sc permanent on the 1500, and fix up the 84 for 2w runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.