Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a friend who has a 1200 goldwing I believe its a 1982. He says that if he goes over 20 mph he can't steer it anymore it locks up. I have changed the wheel bearings and wonder if anyone has had any exp. in this problem.
Thanks
John

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

If its a 1982 then it has to be a GL1100. I doubt if the steering lock is coming on, more likely the steering head bearings are overdue for replacement. Steering getting heavier as you pick up speed is a good sign of this. Needless to say, it's not at all safe to ride like this.

Oh, and welcome to the forum John. :hallo:

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

Hopefully your friend understands counter steering and knows that to go right you actually turn the handlebars slightly to the left. If not here is a connection that explains it.

http://members.cox.net/vstar117/counter.htm

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

cyberbo60 wrote:
I have a friend who has a 1200 goldwing I believe its a 1982. He says that if he goes over 20 mph he can't steer it anymore it locks up. I have changed the wheel bearings and wonder if anyone has had any exp. in this problem.
Thanks
John, you have some good in the posts above here. It could be a problem with the neck bearings but that usually doesn't suddly come in at 20 mph (anything is possible though).

The countersteering input is a great observation so explain that (or ride the bike in question yourself).

I will add one more-- I had my personal 1200 do something similar & it was due to a mudflap I had added to the lower rear of the front fender. At speed (not always the same speed though) it would blow back & when a bump was hit it would momentarily jam up on the lower radiator enclosure. Nothing a pair or aviation snips wouldn't cure though..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Its a 1986 Goldwing. He knows how to ride so I dont think countersteering is an issue.
We changed the wheel bearings and going to take it for a spin to see what kind of lockup it is. I have a H/D so I have to ride this see what exactly the issue is. Thanks for all the input.
John

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

cyberbo60 wrote:
He knows how to ride so I dont think countersteering is an issue.
Good I had to ask. I have seen more then one new rider lock up in turn because they did not understand this.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

maybe this question sounds dumb... but is it that he cannot turn the handlebars at this speed so that whichever direction he is heading cannot be altered?

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

It really does sound like badly worn head bearings. A bad notchy spot could easily cause difficulty trying to steer. This isn'yt down to lack of riding experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.