Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 08 1800 with a little over 6,000 miles. Bought it used and am having trouble with the lag in control between the handlebars and wheel. In slow traffic it's really hard to make minor corrections to keep the bike going straight without stopping/going/stopping/going.... Been riding 52 years, it's not me... Even sitting in the driveway, moving the handlebars back and forth about an inch doesn't make much movement at the wheel.... this causes over-correcting when riding very slow. Checked out the neck bearings and handlebar mounting.
Bought a huge billet aluminum fork brace and it didn't do much of anything. Is this a problem with the 1800 or unique to my bike? I bought the bike used and found a few other "surprises" after I got the bike home. Been thinking about putting in a Traxxion Control fork rebuild kit. See link below. http://www.traxxion.com/cruisers/gold_wing_home.htm
Anyone have any suggestions?
thanks, [email protected]

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
imported post

I don't see how you can possibly drive it like that. If my 1500 did that i would think the axle pinch bolts are ready to fall off or something. If the steering stem nut would be loose, i wouldn't think you would have any steering at all. Hopefully someone has the answer soon.
I would think if it has all that play sitting still another person could watch where the movement is coming from while you turn the handlebars.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me like the previous owner might have tightened the steering head bearings too much. Steering head bearings are binding up now. If it is too tight he probably ruined the ball bearing races in the steering head. I would replace with All Balls bearings, torqued correctly. Same as the 1500. Around 17 pounds.

Tom Bishop

`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

Previous owner may have put in some "risers" under the handle bars. If they loosen up it could cause what you are describing. But then I would think one or the other bar would feel loose. Not up and down loose but rotational play.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

Steering too tight is a problem. Bearings adjusted too tight, wire harness restricting the bars maybe?

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Foot pounds. Raise the front ebd up and see how much effort is needed to move the handlebar left to right. Check carefully to see if any notchiness is felt. Just guessing that the P.O. might have used the hammer and drift method of retorquing the steering head to get rid of front wheel wobble. Decided it was time to sell when it didn`t work out.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Fixed it... The previous owner was a short guy and put some risers/offsets/blocks between the handlebars and the mount on top of the forks. And.. put rubber spacers on both sides. Looked like thick inner tube cut-outs. Don't know why I didn't see the movement there before. The movement of the handlebars from stop to stop was creating some noise. Looking up from the wheel, I could see control cables and hydraulic lines getting bound up. So took the handle bars off to loosen and re-arrange the lines. Found the mounting mess. Put everything back to stock and it's great... Thanks for all the advice!!!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Fixed it... The previous owner was a short guy and put some risers/offsets/blocks between the handlebars and the mount on top of the forks. And.. put rubber spacers on both sides. Looked like thick inner tube cut-outs. Don't know why I didn't see the movement there before. The movement of the handlebars from stop to stop was creating some noise. Looking up from the wheel, I could see control cables and hydraulic lines getting bound up. So took the handle bars off to loosen and re-arrange the lines. Found the mounting mess. Put everything back to stock and it's great... Thanks for all the advice!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.