Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Being new to this forum my friends call me Alski. About 2 months ago I bought a 1987 1200 goldwing. There was 15,700 miles on the bike. Only 2,300in the last 10 years,none in the last 4. I have a few problems. One the steering is very sensitive no resistance whatever. Two there is a bad wobble [no hands on handlebar ] rebuilt the fork, changed tire, balanced ,

new bearings . Could I ask someone to give me tips to try and remedy these problems. Also there is no play in the fork.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

sounds like you did all the things we might suggest... when you changed the steering head bearings, did you make sure the steering stem was tightened properly and tightly?

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply. I never changed the bearings on the steering head. Other bikes I rode had some resistance in steering. This one has ZILCH.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

:waving: :waving: Welcome Alski to the best GoldWing site on the internet! :waving: :waving:

You have joind the very best of the best in GoldWing Forums. I have only been a member for just over 2 months and these guys are great. Most of the time, they can get you through your problems. I am sure that someone will be along shortly to help you out.

As to the wobbling, did you check your brake rotors for warping? This might be causing your front brakes to "grab" and cause a wobble. Just something else to look at since you stated that you already changed the tire and had it balanced.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I would look into the steering head bearings, if they are worn or sloppy or loose this could cause what you are mentioning

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Therehas beena lot of discussion about wheel wobble on this forum! It seems that MOST wings have some wobble.Possible causesrange from bent rotors, bad tires, loose or bad bearings, low tire pressure, high tire pressure, impossible to fix, too much fork oil, too little fork oil, more oil in one fork than the other, fork air pressure, etc., etc.! The cures are as numerous as the possible causes.

I discovered I had a terrible wobble at around 35mph when I had to ride with one hand one morning.My throttle cable broke on my way to workso I was pushing the throttle linkage on the carbs to get home with my right hand. I never knew about the wobble before that morning! Made for an interesting ride! MOST of my wobble went away when I replaced the front tire!

You should have some resistance when turning the handle bars from side to side though. If you put the bike on its center stand and block the front wheel in the air, (by putting a jack or piece of wood or something under the engine so the wheel won'ttouch the ground) andGENTLY give the handle bar a push, the handle barshould have a little resistance and should not bounce when it hits the stop. It might not even go all the way to the stop. If it bounces or hits the stop with a very light push, your steering head bearings may be worn or too loose. With less than 16,000 miles I don't think they are worn. I have about 98,700 miles on mine and they seem fine. It could be they just need to be tightened.

Bob :11grey:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sorry alski, I read your PM before I saw your posting so didn't realize what you were asking. Here's my opinion worth everything you paid for it.

Bob's right, it sounds like the head bearings could use a bit of snugging. There should be 4lbs pull on the fork tube to start the fork turning with front end clear of the ground. This according to the manual. The other recommendation would be to replace the front tire. The tire is the major offender in the wobblies I believe. Changing it cured my bike.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

as Matt said... the key thing .. "Was the head bearing tightened Properly ???"   emphasize PROPERLY ................. It is sort of an Art form... and many (younger ) shop mechs seem unable to do this one job... SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

alski425 wrote:
Being new to this forum my friends call me Alski.
Hey alski425 :waving:A thousand welcomes to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Welcome tyo the forum alski425. If the steering is so loose I'd suggest getting some new grease in there as well as nipping them down a bit. Are you getting a clunk from the front end when you hit the brakes hard? That's a good sign of loose head bearings and at that low mileage its a good bet that they have never been adjusted before.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

NO clunk, no rattles, when weight is off of wheel shaking the assembly there is no apparent looseness. Pushing the handle bar to one side it hits the stop bounce's back there is no resistance whatever. I thank u guys for your reply's. Alski

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

alski425 wrote:
NO clunk, no rattles, when weight is off of wheel shaking the assembly there is no apparent looseness. Pushing the handle bar to one side it hits the stop bounce's back there is no resistance whatever. I thank u guys for your reply's. Alski
Alski, tightening up the steering head bearings or better yet replacing them with tapered roller bearing (if you have ball bearings now)will help for a while but the problem will return when the bearings loosen up after some miles of riding.

Bearings are meant to be bearings & not dampeners. That 30-40 MPH front end hands off wobble is about normal for the 1200 Wings.

Different front tires can help a little & for a while but it will probably still come back at a future time. Changing front tire pressure can help (some of the replacement tires call for higher pressures that Honda recommended for your bike when sold),, fooling withthe front fork pressure can also help (try a little more pressure),, coastingdown hill hands off seems to be the worst case & using rear brake going down hill hands off will usually get your attention FAST.

When I went to a Michelin front tire at 35psi & added fork pressure with 15 weight fork oil my 30-40 MPH wobble went away but has returned slightly going down hill at about 35 MPH no hands & hitting a slight bump. My 1200 will track straight as an arrow no hands at 114 MPH but I keep my hands on bars at 30-40 MPH. Once it goes into a head shake it will about break my hand if I try to grab the bars while oscillating.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks Twisty: I did change tires samo samo. When I do 115 mph I would be back in a airplane. [retired pilot] Alski

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I guess that I am so used to front end wobble of sorts, from having bikes with sidecars for several years. you just get used to it

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

wrote: rcmatt007
I guess that I am so used to front end wobble of sorts, from having bikes with sidecars for several years. you just get used to it
rcmatt007, most of the bikes in my area running side hacks are using an add on steering dampener to calm the wobblies.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I have had a dampner on in the past. the motorvation spyder wobble really isn't bad, so I haven't put one on. the motovation roadstrer I had on my 1000 with a big cast wheel was horrible, even the dampner didn't help much. the best sidecar was the eml I had on the 1200. It really wasn't so much the sidecar, but the earls conversion for the front end... the bike handled great. unfortunatelly that was the part that met the tree when my daughter did her "stupid kid trick" 5 years ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.