Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have installed a Clarion II in my 81 GL1100i. Everything works great but there is some static in the headsets on both stereo and a little bit in the CB.

I also have a cable that plugs in to the passenger's headset plug that allows me to use my iPhone on the bike through the headset. The static here is not too bad while idling but when I accelerate it gets really bad and the person I am talking to cannot hear me. I can however still hear them with the static.

I'm guessing that I need to install some form of noise suppressor but have no idea what kind or capacity. Nor where it should go.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

:?:?:?:?:?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I've got the same problems with the static in the radio system but barely notice it when I turn on the driving lights. It seems to lessen when I increase the load on the system because not so much current is being shunted to ground. I also have some ignition static above 1500 rpm.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Was hoping someone would chime in with some ideas. I can use the stereo and the CB OK but the static is annoying after a while. The iPhone seems to pick it up the worst.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

You can purchase a noise reduction filter that mounts to the rear of you Clarion (Positive/Negative Connection) for around 12 Bucks. It worked wonders on mine.
Good Luck,
Nightrider1

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Your diagnosis is correct, I think.. the Clarion II system came with a number of noise supressors that were necessary to install, but someone more familar with the parts will have to answer.. Also, the rectifier/regulator is a source of noise that changes with changing electrical load...

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Still hoping for some definitive ideas of what filters need to be installed and where they nee to be mounted. Also where to obtain these filters. I'm guessing some may be available at the locat Radio Shack if I knew exactly what it was I needed.

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

One source of noise I found is when I plug the GPS into the audio system with the cable I have installed to the distribution box and powering it from the cig lighter. The cig lighter is using the grounding wires in the fairing for now and I think that's where I got some of my noise when using the GPS hooked into the audio system. I plan to change that ground over to straight to the battery when I get off my lazy butt and do it.

In fact I'm thinking of running a separate grounding block up into the fairing and running it straight to the battery for all the accessories, like the cig lighter and driving lights. I'll do that when I install the new fairing as I switch all the equipment over since it's gonna be a 2 day project.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.