Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have 2 rca jacks in the back of my stereo, one is blue for the right and the other is green for the left, if I had the wires for the rca jacks to the mp3 jacks will the mp3 player work through the stereo?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

If those are input jRCa's and you get the right adapter (mini headset to RCA) it will work just fine

keep the volume on the ipod down about 3/4 to eliminate input distortion

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
imported post

If those are truly input jacks. often, those jacks are output jacks to go to a power amp. Try everything at low power first.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

Psalmist wrote:
If those are truly input jacks. often, those jacks are output jacks to go to a power amp. Try everything at low power first.

every stereo ive had with those rca/phono sockets have been for an amp, and the input sockets were for the cd changer, on the last one i had, it had a 3.5mm juck plug socket for the mp3 player, if it has a 2.5mm socket on the back, that usually for the wired remote control console that goes to the searing column, have you not got the cassette adapter to plug into your mp3 player, or one of those fm transmitters,

you also could take the unit to an electronics engineer and ask him to hotwire a cable the the pickup head of the tape deck thus eliminating the cassette adapter,some where on this board someone has done it, try doing a search for it or start a new thread

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

redneck wrote:
Psalmist wrote:
every stereo ive had with those rca/phono sockets have been for an amp, and the input sockets were for the cd changer, on the last one i had, it had a 3.5mm juck plug socket for the mp3 player, if it has a 2.5mm socket on the back, that usually for the wired remote control console that goes to the searing column, have you not got the cassette adapter to plug into your mp3 player, or one of those fm transmitters,
There are 2 sets of rca jacks, 1 set for the output and 1 set says it's for cd input.

The stereo is rather old and useing the cassette adapter doesn't work well over the speakers, and I tryed useing the fm tramsmitter and that worked better but I had the usual fade at times.

I just took the radio out and saw the rca jacks with the cd input and thought these would work for the mp3 player.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you have the right setup, then. Just get an adapter cord with 1/8" stereo plug on one side and RCA jacks on the other and you will be in business. You can get one at RadioShack or any other electronics store. They also make an adapter that goes right at the MP3 player with 1/8" male to twin RCA female, but that can be a bit bulky.

Since the jacks are on the back of the radio, you may want to wire an 1/8" female jack onto your dash and hardwire it into the back of the radio. Just make sure it's protected from the elements. And the advice about keeping the MP3 level down is good. Overdriving the input can cause a lot of distortion since RCA inputs are line level rather than a headphone level like the stereo jack on your player.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
imported post

I'm sure you thot of this, but test it all out before you put it together in dash. good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.