Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I see on Steve's For Sale / Wanted section that somebody was looking for a Panasonic radio / cassette for a GL1200. What are one's options here? I'm thinking particularly of a CD player. I have the Original Equipment unit fitted and it has, I seem to recall, a fairly meaty looking loom habging out of the back.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

The OEM Panasonic is hard to get hold of. Many people use an FM type CD changer and connect it to the antenna on the OEM radio, then assign the CD player to a radio channel. That way you get to keep your OEM radio and have CDs as well. These days, connecting up an MP3 player would be a better idea, ie less space needed and loads of songs.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

MP3 is the way to go. You can get an FM adapter that will allow you to assign a channel to the MP3 as well.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I'll be going down this road myself soon. CDs are old hat, MP3 is the way forward and no skipping problems.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

Went there, Did that. I just finished installing new speaker grills and a radio adapter from Sierra-MC. Got a Jenson 200Watt CD/MP3-AM-FM radio entire cost was under $150.00. I am Very happy with the stuff from Sierra-MC. See Picture of completed radio install 1987 GL1200I.

BTW, I got all the info and advice from all the good and knowledgable folks that read and respond on this site. Thanks to all who have helped me with my last 2 bikes!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Looks quite neat. What did they say about rain or moisture? A friend of mine went down that road but he had his wife sew up an open sided box shape out of vinyl and stuck two pieces of velcro on the top of the radio bezel and two on the inside of the vinyl cover and in heavy rain he just slips it on.
One of the problems with that type is not having an auto volume control or a mute switch. I wondered about having a double pole relay with a resistance on one side so that you could have a high and low level control.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I Live in Houston and I am looking for a replacement Panasonic stereo for a 1984 GW Aspencade or any ideas how to replace or repair or any other ideas? Have sent the unit to Sierra Electronics in Troy Ohio twice and they keep telling me it is fine and sending it back to me, but it is still malfunctioning. Have also had the bike into two different local shops and they tell me there is nothing wrong with the bike or wiring or antennae, etc.

HELP!!

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Exactly what is happening when you say it is malfunctioning? If Sierra has said twice that it is OK I would imagine that your problem lies elswhere. Most shops havnt a clue about how a wing works especially the electronics.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

About 6 months ago the stereo was fine. Then after riding an hour or two the sound would start fading to fuzz and/or static. Then slowly the time it worked became less and the time of static and fuzz was more and louder. It eventually became almost all static and noise. The last shop I took it to here in houston the guy is and older guy been working on bikes for over 30 years. This time when we turned it on the station was fuzz, but then it slowly tuned itself (without us touching it). Then slowly moved on to fuzz, then new station, etc. Even if I press the pre-sets or scan, the number on the digital read out changes, but the sound stays the same (fuzz, then station, then fuzz and so on).

Extremely wierd, but I agree with him, that it seems it could only be the stereo and not antennae or anything else.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
imported post

I put a pioneer AM/FM/CD in my bike when I put it together, very rarely have a skip problem once I get out our 200 yards of gravel driveway, next I am adding an amp and some rear speakers, also may add a Sirius Sattelite radio, other than the bill every month I think it is the best way to go :action:

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

I have a 512MB MP3 Player and I run it via a cassette adapter. I did open the radio up and remove the tape drive belts as there is no movement needed to operate the adapter. I just leave the adapter in all the time now and have the wire routed behind the radio and over to the left side pocket. If I want to run the MP3, I just plug it in and switch the radio over to TAPE and it plays. I have 128 songs loaded on the player and have listened to it for in excess of 6 hours straightwithout a single repeat.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Howdy markm931 :waving:[shadow=red]Your Very Welcome To The Greatest Goldwing Forum In The World.[/shadow] :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.