Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My father owns a 1990 SE that has been triked, he just purchased this machine, the stereo volume stays at low levels, almost like the mute switch is stuck. Any body have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Have been all over the darn thing, cannot find any problems, took the mute switch completely apart to no avail, was interesting finding the spring afterwards. Can I just kick it?

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Are all your knobs in the right direction. One will lower the sound until you reach a certain speed and it will then rise in volumn.

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

5 amp fuse in relay box, to the rear of the fuse box, is open. I get phone calls all the time with this question after bikes are jump started. The reason for the low volume is the 5 amp fuse controls the high output amp turn on in the stereo, the cassette, and the memory functions. People get confused about what the function of this 5 Amp fuse is because it is marked as "Back Up" and people think it for the reverse on the 1500.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Darn, I thought you had something there, had not even seen that fuse, checked it, it is OK, Do you know if the wiring on the '90 is different than the '00, I have an OE service manual for the '00, the wires and pin locations for the stereo seem to be different. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Waynewrote:
5 amp fuse in relay box, to the rear of the fuse box, is open. I get phone calls all the time with this question after bikes are jump started. The reason for the low volume is the 5 amp fuse controls the high output amp turn on in the stereo, the cassette, and the memory functions. People get confused about what the function of this 5 Amp fuse is because it is marked as "Back Up" and people think it for the reverse on the 1500.
Interesting. Good info that I did not know.

Did this affect certain year models or does this apply to all GL1500s?

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Good information I will remember that one for sure.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

The '90 has the 5 amp fuse, just wondering if the rest of the stereo wiring harness is the same

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Wayne, Took the stereo off of my '94 and plugged it in on the '90, same results, I have taken the mute switch completely apart and cleaned it, it would be really nice to get this goofy thing figured out, let me know if you have any more ideas. If I figure it out in the meantime, I will let you know.

Thanks

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

If you down load the service manual it has a trouble shooting guide for the audio system, telling you what to check out etc, may save you alot of time

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

Check for 12V on both sides of 5 amp fuse. As I said earlier this is the turn on voltage for the amp and memory function. Does the radio and clock hold the memory after the key is turned off?? If so then I would check for an open trace on the circuit board at the neck of the radio. I am in Florida at GWRRA rally and don't have access to schematic here so I cannot tell you which pin carries the memory 12V at the stereo.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Finally found the problem, the red wire with yellow tracer did not have battery voltage with key on, removed the 5 amp fuse labeled back, wire brushed it, put it back in and thankfully everything is working. Now to try to put it all back together....

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Thanks Wayne, I guesse I should have checked more closely what you mentioned before, the fuse had the 12V going through it, but with the corrosion it must not have been getting beyong that.

Doug

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Wayne, Maybe you can give me some insight with a couple of issues with my '94, The CB transmit only works well if I wiggle the cables from the handlebars down, also the hazard flashers will work kinda, only the left side will come on and then sometimes the right side will kick in after turning them on and off several times

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.