Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone have an idea as to were i can mount a stereo and what one would work for my 1980 Interstate Gl1100. I considered the Left side fairing pocket and making it so the soft cover would still snap over it but I'm open to suggestions and instruction. Pics help too

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
imported post

Iinstalled a Marine radio with a small hard wired remote. You can stick the radio in a saddlebag or trunk out of the weather(Mine is in the right saddle bag)and the remote is a sealed piece and small enough to mount just about anywhere including the handlebars with a homemade bracket.I mounted the remote on the fake gas tank.I use a cable that plugs into my MP3 Player then into the (RCA) Auxiliary input I like the built in weather radio.The model I have has been discontinued but this will give you a idea....

• Details: Jensen MCC8526 200 Watts Cassette/AM/FM Radio/Weatherband/CD Changer Controller Marine Stereo

Water resistant with slide down, detachable face for security. Cassette features full logic operation, auto reverse, auto metal tape equalization, auto music select, standby (tape pause) and key-off pinch roller release. Remote compatible.
    Seven frequency weatherband tuner
    30 station presets (20FM/10AM)
    Auto station store
    Preset scan
    One touch memory
    Auto-stereo/mono
    Auto local/distance
    Seek/scan
    US/European frequency spacing
    Stereo Electronic volume, bass, treble, balance, fader Programmable turn-on volume
    Multi-button power ON
    Keyless cassette eject
    RCA pre-amp output
    Selectable Display priority
    Auxiliary input (RCA) for satellite radio,MP3, CD
    Clock
    Loudness
    Mute
    Positive LCD display (black on white)

• Details: Jensen MWR21 Remote
    This waterproof, completely sealed, self-standing unit controls every function on the head unit. It can be mounted anywhere, even on the decks that are subject to heavy spray. Backlit, utilizing power from boat. Waterfall display. Clock. 16" mini DIN connector with 20 foot extension cable. Flush mount or guage-style mount fits standard 2" gauge-style ports. Optional Y-Cable allows use of up to four units
    4.5" W x 1.7" H x .8" D
  • There are newer fancier models now but this one will do more than I will ever need

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I have a 81 1100 and use a Vetter cycle sound . I think I may even have a spare housing in the attic of my garage if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

IF you have a spare Vetter I would be interested. Does it mold to the fairing or does it need modification??? Does the unit cove the stock speaker holes or would have to modify? Either way I can modify. Let me know what you want for it. THANKS Scott

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

Ghost Rider 2 wrote:
I have a 81 1100 and use a Vetter cycle sound . I think I may even have a spare housing in the attic of my garage if you are interested.
Ghost Rider 2 If Scott doesn't end up wanting the housing, I'm looking for one. I don't want to step on toes so let me know if he doesn't take it.

Thx Tom

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

I did exactly what you have mentioned, works fine. You have to cut the bottom out of the pocket to get the radio down far enough, then screw it to the pocket sides.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I use the original hondaline speaker housings with new speakers. There are connected to a amplifier (http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/100-Watt-Mini-Stereo-Amp-p-19095.html)mounted below the left side pocket. I have it connected to the switched power accessory in the fuse box on the GL1100. From the amp I run the accessory plug to through the pocket and can plug it into either my IPod or to any am/fm radio. I found an inexpensive Sony radio with an earphone jack that works great. I could leave it in the pocket like I do when I use the I pod or by using a little 3M DuoLock(velcro) on the fairing for the radio I can mount it out of the pocket. When I use the Ipod I use an Ijet to control it. The radio has push buttons for up to 10 stations. Total cost for the amp was about $50 and the radio another $30. Wiring was so simple even I was able to do it.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

Scott40 PM sent

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

If I went to hard wire remote way, how long is the remote wire and can you get an extension for it. I have a place way back I can put it but would need at least 5 or 6 feet of extension to route it clean.:action:

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
If I went to hard wire remote way, how long is the remote wire and can you get an extension for it. I have a place way back I can put it but would need at least 5 or 6 feet of extension to route it clean.:action:
My remote came with a 20 foot extension(see spec.s listed in my postabove). If20 feet isnot long enough you may want to try mounting the radio on the bike instead of leaving it at home.:D:cheeky1::action::dude:

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

that was cruel mike :cheeky1: but i like it;)

welcome to the forum scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.