Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I would like to put an aftermarket CD player in my 1985 Aspencade. I took the factory cassette player out to look at the wiring harness and realized the radio mounts directly into the fixed harness and that the factory radio was not very big. If anyone has any suggestions to perform this radio swap, please let me know. What parts and where I can find them would really be appreciated. I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
Thank You

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

There is no swap AFAIK.
If you wish to have the auto volume and the intercom and possibly the CB option you will need to stick with the factory installed radio. You can use an FM modulator with the radio in order to input MP3 music.
Of course if you don't need the above you can rip everything out and make it like it's poorer brother the Interstate. And then struggle to make it back like the Aspencade it should be :) There are many who would take all the parts off your hands.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank you for the information. My Aspencade does not have a CB or the intercom, but all of the controls and the radio do work ( I am not sure about the cassette player because I haven't had cassettes for years). I enjoy music when riding, so I am going to check with your suggestion.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I use a simple Fm modulator to input my GPS sound which also has an MP3 player in it. In the future I am looking to use an FM modulator made by Audiovox which hooks into the antenna cabling.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you, I think I am going to go with the FM modulator, I have been looking at them online since the first reply. They are very cheap (12 to 30 dollars and know my kids have mp3 players laying around the house. I will be able to have my choice of music when riding for minimal costs and no messing around with the Aspencade.
Thank you

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
imported post

Stick with the Audiovox unit.I have it on my bike and it sounds great. I have heard bad things about the cheaper ones. Spend a little extra,you wont be sorry you did.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i bought an fm modulater, i tried it in the house first and it was rubbish, then i put on the bike and it was still rubbish, so i binned it,you pay for what you get, i bought a cheap one, went back to the cassette adapter

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

The one I am using cost me about $19:00 I don't have any problems with it, I know I am getting pretty well hard of hearing but with all the noise around while riding the bike it works fine.
The audiovox unit around $40 is placed in the antenna line and is supposed to trap FM signals that come in on the frequency that you have chosen.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

A cassette adapter and a mp3 player is the way to go. No wiring to mess with. The mp3 player can hold many CDs.

John

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question. My friend has a modulator that he is going to let me try with an mp3 player, if I am not satisfied with that I will definitely try the Audiovox unit. Thank you all again for solving my problem without me having to alter my precious aspencade.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Well a guy I work with gave me a modulator to try and I bought an MP3 player. I put velcro on the back of the modulator and put it in the front fairing pocket to the left of the handlebars (just under the leather cover and on the side of the pouch near the factory radio) and put a little velcro on the MP3 player and attached it to the fairing where I could have easy access to it and it worked really well. The modulator would cost about $20 from Wal-mart. Then when I want to remove the items, I just pull them off of the bike and lock them in the trunk. This worked very well for me.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Another thing, I noticed you said you didn't have intercom. If you want to ever set that up, you will need to get a Clarion "Y" cable. It plugs into the control box located under the left fairing pocket. One cable of the Y will come out for your front headset, and the other will need a extension cable to go to passanger.

If you ride two up and want to talk.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I am not going to set up for an intercom (wife is plenty loud enough without the intercom), hence the MP3 player to cover the sound of the wife.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:I understand completely my friend!!!!

Have plenty of enjoyable Safe rides!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.