Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In my last mile on the freeway today I twisted the throttle ALL the way for a Clean out of the carbs. I've been doing a carb clean out with Seafoam and it has been getting better with each treatment. It seems as though the sliders stuck or something at 4000 rpm leaving me with nothing but a throttle to twist with no responce. After coasting down to 60 mph and constantly twisting on and off it unstuck and resumed operation at an even better level than before. I'm thinking maybe i need a complete carb rebuild? Mind you I twisted the throttle open hard all the way! What do you guys think? Thanks

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

I think you broke a throttle cable.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Like I said after twisting the throttle on and off it snapped back and even ran better. Pretty sure nothing broke.:baffled:

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

Sorry, I did not quite understand your post. The throttles may have stuck temporarily but stuck sliders would not do that. The throttle plates control the air/fuel intake, not the sliders.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Dave, What would cause the throttle plates to stick and what would you suggest to correct this problem? By the way i love your profile statement! Thanks again!

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

Could be a bad cable You might have to get it to do it again to find the problem.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

Kind of sounds to me like you may have run the bowls dry. If you are using seafoam, you could have loosened up enough crap to restrict the fuel filter. You could also have a weak vacuum pectcock.

Your description, to me anyway, makes it seems like you ran it out of fuel for some reason. I would try and duplicate the problem and go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

Whether your sliders were stuck open or closed, it would not be like 4,000 rpm with no response. The sliders act like a variable venture that takes air flow and throttle plate into consideration. Looks like the sliders could act like a choke if they do not open up.

Coasting down to 60 mph sounds like your fuel starvation after running them empty had time to refill when your speed came back down. Fuel delivery is less then engine load demand so the carb bowl runs out of fuel.

Replace thefuel filter. Keep using your SeaFoam.

But, if your carbs do not clear up, go for the jugular and rebuild the carbs.

You did not mention hesitation of bogging at lower speeds withinitial twisting of the throttle. That would be a good sign.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

That's sounding good to me Foosman I'm replaceing the fuel filter now. What is the recommended fuel filter? Thanks everyone!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

That's sounding good to me Foosman I'm replaceing the fuel filter now. What is the recommended fuel filter? Thanks everyone!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

You can't go wrong with a genuine Honda.:thumbsup:

JD

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Maybe you just knocked a chunk of gunk loose with the Seafoam? Fuel pump strainer? jimsjinx

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

:?I guess I completely misunderstood the OP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.