Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is it just me or has anyone else had trouble with sticky switches? My push switches for the 'hazzard' warning lights, 'mute' for the radio and 'cruise' on all keep sticking in the 'in' position. I have had both switch housings apart tospray contact cleaner and they work fine for while. Then after a week or so they start sticking again. Has anyone tried any other sort of spray that works long term- e.g. silicon?

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

I would stick with contact spray.

You could open up switches to remove a little of the old grease and squirt again with contact cleaner.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

I took the emergency flasher switch on the 1800 apart last weekend for the same problem. Removed all the old grease and put it alight coatof Vasaline. I have been trying it every day since and so far so good.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Now don't feel special..............happens frequently and is one of the top complaints on this forum.

Had my hazard switch apart so often that the inevitable happened and it self destructed during reassembly. Was so pissed off I considered selling - but it runs too great and is too much fun! I simply bypassed the switch and wired to a new switch assembly mounted on my clutch reservoir.

As far as my mute switch...........I don't even THINK of pressing that one!

Good luck!

T.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

just fixed my reverse button on my 2003 1800. This was stuck on the road and there's no way to ride if the button is stuck on. I removed the switch from the housing and took it apart and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol. Then i coated it with electrical silicone grease and now it works fine.

rob

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

rduley wrote:
just fixed my reverse button on my 2003 1800. This was stuck on the road and there's no way to ride if the button is stuck on. I removed the switch from the housing and took it apart and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol. Then i coated it with electrical silicone grease and now it works fine.

rob
^^^ This is the best method.

Disassemble it.
Clean all old grease out of it.
Lube the moving parts areas gently with silicone grease.

Anything else will be short lived.

This should give you at least 5 years before the procedure needs to be repeated.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

I was checking all of my lights before a ride and the hazard light switch stuck. I worked it for quite a while before it finally shut off the hazards....I too was careful to NOT press this button until I sprayed all switches with contact cleaner!

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

John, Rudy covered it pretty well with what he said, I also know a lot of members on here including me just leave the cruise button in the(on) position...doesnt hurt anything doing that....

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks Guys. I'll take them apart after work and go for Rudy's approach. It's really just the hazzard one that matters as I did accidentally push it in the other night while riding and couldn't get it to turn off for 5 miles!
You are right though - there's not much need to ever press the mute or cruise ones.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.