Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My motor bike shop tells me that one of my lifters is stuck.Around 2000 - 2500 rpm in 2 nd or 3rd gear there is a definate miss and I can hear a slight misfire.

If the problem is lifter, is there an additive I can add to the oil. The bike has not been used for quite a while before I bought it. I am thinking that a good run will sort out the problem. Above that rev range and in top gear it runs like a champion.

Any clues

What is the best spark plugs to use?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,953 Posts
imported post

Is the motor ticking loudly?

If you have a lifter sticking, you'll hear it.

If it is a lifter, it may pump up with a few miles but I wouldn't wait too long. 100 miles max.

It's not a difficult fix.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

What quantity of Seafoam and would this be available in Australia maybe in another name

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

It shouldnt take much, maybe a 1/4 can in a sump of oil. Dont know if you can get Seafoam in OZ, but if not, try marvel mystery oil, orthe old standby, automatic transmission fluid. (I know you can get ATF there).

·
Ole Guy
171 Posts
imported post

Check this thread out. I brought it up about lifter noise. In the end I used a container of Gunk Motor Flush. It goes in to the oil, run engine five minutes at idle, then drain and add new oil and filter. Look at the filter closely and see how dirty it is. It is not the color, but the stuff that is matted up on it. If it looks okay, thenthere was not that much crud. The stuff that restricts oil flow is in the lifter passages and may reduce oil volume to the lifter. My intermittent lifter noise has almost disappered. Every now and then it picks up. I will not run addivtives in my oil becuase the oil manufactures do not recommend it. If you run good oil you already have detereant in it.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/64459.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.