Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What is the best way to loosen up the switches? Most are a little sticky, even the turn signal switche. Would it be better to open them up and clean them or is there an easier way to do this?

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

I would like to know this myself as the turn signal switch on my Interstate tends to stick in the "on" position, either side, but mostly in cold temps.

I suppose one could open the switch and apply some dielectric grease to the switch pivot??

Wecome to the forum by the way!!

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

The best way of course is to open the switch and clean it if you can. We used to use carbon tetrachloride but they banned that after someone grew a third eyeball in his forehead or something like that.

Contact cleaner is available from any electronics supply house, including Radio Shack. Clean 'er up and re-apply a bit of dielectric grease and it will be good as new.

Some people use WD40, and it works ok, but doesn't have the right solvents in it to clean the corrosion, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

I saw a can of Sea Foam spray cleaner, I wonder how good that would be?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I use a spray contact cleaner containing Teflon made by Sherwin Williams. A shot at the beginning of the season, carries me through. I also tried spraying it in my cassette player in my truck, because my tapes wouldn't eject. Worked like a charm.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

All good ideas, now how do you go about pulling them apart?
I have patience because of the type of work I do, so that's not a problem, will have to eyeball them when I have a chance.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

On another note, not related to this problem, I found and used the info to synch the carbs and it was a breeze after reading through it..... Great technical info..... took longer to get it apart and back together than to do the actual procedure...... like working on planes........

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I go with the DW40 to loosen the dirt then contact cleaner to wash out the wd40, seems to last me a couple of months. I never take them apart, I just spray along side the switch lever, it gets in.
I may try that contact cleaner with teflon though to see if it works better.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I have seen some of the teflon spray here at work, guess I'll go a huntin for it and see what it says. I guess my biggest concern is how the cleaner will affect the plastic housing over the long run. I know that stuff is tough but what about in the long run? Anyone been doing this for a while with any problems to the switch housing?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Here's what I use. Got it off e-bay. I've been using it for at least 3 years, with no ill effects. Comments on can says safe, even on the most delicate plastics. Can be applied while equipment is operating.

I never take anything apart, either.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

I got my first wing 3 days ago...85 Aspencade...and sticky switches...the cure? Spray silicone, you can get it at any autoparts store. not wet enough to cause electrical components and puts down a nice lubricant. mostly waterproof.

I have use it for years on all my bikes and 4 wheelers, no effects of plastics or chrome...

JRS60371

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

The Radio Shack tuner cleaner has worked best for me. Just make sure it doesn't get on your paint!

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Yup, I think its called Tuner-Renu or something like that. Its works well and is made for electrnoic switches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.