Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

The seat on my 85 GL1200a has formed an ever widening sticky patch - almost like I had put duct tape on it and removed it a bunch of times. It looks like a deposit on the seat, but I can't get it off. Tried vinegar, soap and water, fast orange hand cleaner, paint thinner, etc. You can sort of scrape it away, and it seems like it's on top of the seat, but it never really cleans up.

Could the vinyl be just breaking down after 24 years? It's only on the part I sit on. If I can't fix it, I'm in for a reupholstery job, I think. I'd rather get rid of that little butt pad so I can move around a little more anyway. Or maybe a new Corbin...

Any ideas?

Frank

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

I would just bet that it's some kind of sticky tape on the inside of your Seat Cover.

And in that case, Good luck as it will continue to bleed through.

But in case it's not, One thing I found to remove sticky residue and leave a fairly good finish is WD-40.

Stuff is amazing for all that it can do.

But if it keeps coming back you may have to remove the cover and have a looksee underneath.

Let us know what you find.

Good Luck

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I think the vinyl is breaking down. Vinyls with urethane in em do that sticky thing. jimsjinx

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I think I'd wipe it down with some WD-40 on a cloth first to see if it is adhesive.
If not that, try Fantastic or 409.
After that, post back here.

If you need new vinyl, I know a guy out in Oregon who does that kind of work.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
I think the vinyl is breaking down. Vinyls with urethane in em do that sticky thing. jimsjinx
UV and heat... Ever seen the steering wheel of a Chevy Caprice melt away?

You'll never be able to correct it. Recover.
In the meantime get some clear, thick milcellophane packing tape over it.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Thanks guys. I'll try a couple more things - WD40, etc. and if that doesn't work, I'm heading for a new cover. Founda guy on-line only 100 miles away (Ottawa, Ontario) who does custom bike seats - his gallery looks like great work.

Frank

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi frank can you post the link for this guy

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

It's the clear outer coating of the vinyl going bad..... my backrest on the 86' 1200 did the same thing. Go get yo'self a nice new firm cushy seat. You'll be glad you did. The word "Corbin" rings thru my febil mind.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Hey Trecker!LOL I can't get that visual out of my mind now!! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Sorry. I usually do not go to these places especially with those I do not know.

All above are good suggestions.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

The guy didn't post a web site. Found him on Kijiji.ca. Calls himself "Got it Covered", and his name is Jerry. 613-260-5400 is his phone number.

Frank

PS. I knew when I posted 'sticky seat' I was asking for trouble!

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

If this is adhesive 3m makes adhesive remover. I use this in my Upholstery shop to clean off duct tape residue all the time. Most auto parts and auto paint stores carry this product.
Bill

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

Had the same problem on my 83 Interstate, the sticky patch got bigger and bigger.

Eventually had to have it re-upholstered

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
imported post

Maybe Goo Gone? I may not have the name right but Home Depot sells it. It's supposed to take off old stickers. If the goo comes back you will have to reupholster.

P.S. We were in Pembroke a couple of weeks ago in the cage. SawNoah's Arc and Barron Canyon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.