Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May I ask I been feeling a weird shift off 5th gear it's feels stiff when I try to downshift from 5th may I ask what could that be.?

This week I plan to bleed the clutch and replace the slave cylinder.
I really hope that will help out.
May I ask if someone would know what could I do or what could it be.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,588 Posts
Have you looked for something loose on or around the lever? Is it an aftermarket shifter? (heel & toe)

I don't think a clutch issue would affect only one gear.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
Which year model of bike ? Oops my bad I see it now at the bottom of your posting. Could this be the beginning stage of ghost shifting?

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
Mine got gummed up in the shifter pivot bolt making it hard to shift but it was all gears. May I ask why you feel the need to replace the slave cylinder?

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
Mine is a little different but might apply. For some time, especially when the motor was cold, I found that just switching between 1st, 2nd, and also finding neutral was a bit tough. The shifter was hard to move between each. Part of the problem was that the clutch lever was a bit worn and had a bit of an up and down wiggle. I also had issues with starting in gear. Sometimes wiggling it a bit when pulled in would allow contact with the micro switch and I could start in gear. So I put on a brand new clutch lever and the wiggle was gone. But I still had the occasional starting problem in gear. I had been using the #4 setting on both the clutch and brake levers. I dont know why I tried it but recently I changed the clutch from #4 to #3. The shifter is now very easy switching between the gears and real easy to get into neutral. Also I am able to start in gear everytime like its supposed to.

The #4 position just moved the clutch lever in and was the most comfortable for my hands. But going to #3 only slightly moved lever out but still easy enough to work. But it also allows the clutch lever to push in the rod for the clutch master but also seems to help the lever make better contact with micro switch as well.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Kind of weird (scary) that it only acts up in 5th gear. If the clutch doesn't release cleanly you have to pull it out of gear while it is being driven slightly.
Might try a couple of experiments to get some info. First take the bike for a ride and while in 5th do a very "deliberate " shift. That is... pull the clutch in extra hard...pause a second then try to shift down. Is that better? If not you could try to "pump up" the clutch by bumping the lever 2 or 3 times then then quickly pull the lever in all the way. Kind of bump, bump, bump, pull all the way. :rolleyes: See if that helps.
Sill would be odd that it only happens in 5th but I have a theory. (Guess):)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a 2008 goldwing and I'm just trying to figure out what's going on and I just thought if I replace it new and flush and bleed the couch it would be wise to improve the situation. And yes after marker lever with a peeft response I never had this issue yes heal toe shifter also

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
It is a 2008 goldwing and I'm just trying to figure out what's going on and I just thought if I replace it new and flush and bleed the couch it would be wise to improve the situation. And yes after marker lever with a peeft response I never had this issue yes heal toe shifter also

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Many have had issues using the heel toe shifter. That is where I would start...

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
What Mike said,gold wings just don’t like heel toe shifters,really hard on 1500 with the long shifter rod,I’d your shifter seal still good

1 - 10 of 10 Posts