Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, I'm believing the starter isn't the problem, just the symptom. I put the new starter in on tuesday and it was great. I took it for a short ride that day, it sat wednesday and I took it for a long ride to day, about fifty miles. It sat for a couple hours, then I used it to pick up my stepson from school 3 miles away. It sat for maybe half an hour when i wanted to go to the store and nothing. I hear it engage, but all it does is whine and strain, even a cheap starter lasts longer than this.

So the question is, what else could be happening to cause this?

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

You need a real good battery for a wing. It must have enough power to spin over that motor & deliver spark to the plugs at the same time. If you were to charge your battery for a day, & than while cranking with the kill switch on to prevent start up, You should see a minimum of 10 volts at the battery while cranking. Any less than that & your battery might be hooped.

You must ensure that all main connections are clean & tight from the battery to the starter. Check the connections at the relay & look for corrosion or signs of burning at the connections there.

Under your left battery cover, look for 3 yellow wires going into a white joiner plug. Pull the plug apart & look in there for burning. These are your 3 stator wires which carry alot of power. They have a habbit of burning & it is adviseable to cut the plug out of the wireing & re join the 3 wires back together!

Keep us posted!

Wayne.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

After I cut them from the the joiner plug and connect them together, what should I connect them to, or do I just join them together and tape them off?

There is no sign of burning on either end of the plug, the colors of the wires are as follows:

Red with Yellow stripe

Yellow with Red stripe

Green

Red

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

You cut the plug right out. You might need to splice in around 3 inches of wire to re join them if they are now too short. Best method is to sodder them and than cover with shrink tube.

The order of the wires is not an issue, When you are finished you will have 3 yellow wires from the bottom connected individually to 3 yellow wires coming from the top. 1 to 1 2 to 2 & 3 to 3 all insulated from each other with shrink tube to prevent moisture from corroding them or bare wire touching ground.

If you splice wire in for added length, Do not use smaller wire guage. Use the same thickness or slightly larger.

Does your plug look burnt inside?

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Oops, never mind, I was looking at the wrong plug, I was focused on the solenoid. Sorry. I cut the wires one at a dime and connected them to the corresponding wire on the other plug and taped them off. The battery is a good one and at full charge.

Still dosent start.

I can hear the solenoid click, and the starter spin but that's it. I already pulled the stater plug at the back of the motor and turned the engine over by the bolt inside ( Isaw that refered to in another thread), so I know the engines not hung up, but I am.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Pull your starter out. Look at the gear in the hole & look at your starter gear drive for damage. Do be careful when you loosen the nut that holds the power wire on your starter. You do not want the bolt shaft to turn. That will rip wireing off inside the starter.

Are you sure you can hear the starter spinning?

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well, it's a definitge whining sound, the best way I can describe it is when you hit the starter on a car and the bendik gear dosen't engage with the flywheel.

Just to let you know, I've checked the dogbone fuse on the solenoid, it looks good, I've tried jumping the posts on the solenoid and get the same results.

I'm open to ANY ideas, I'm at a total loss here. For now, I'm calling it a night and I'll check in in the morning before sitting on the garage floor tomorrow and trying to stare a solution out of it.

BTW, at least I've had time to polish the hell out of it, it may not run, but it sure is shiny.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I was almost asleep when a scarey thought hit me.

Along with replacing the startr I also replaced the gear the drives the starter chain. Now on that gear ther is a shaft that the starter spline goes into. Now which end of that gear should be closest to the starter, the shaft, or the gear? I put it in so that the shaft end is pointed towards the starter.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

That sounds right to me.

You may have a problem with you oil being to thick for the starter clutch to release. Try push starting your bike get it hot and then try the starter. If it works throw some sea foam or MMO in the crank case run it for 100 miles or so..change the oil use 10/40 or maybe even lower it's cold in NY and try your starter then.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

If things worked fine for 3 days then I think something happened to your new starter. There is a set of planetary gears in the nose of the starter to reduce the speed of the thing. Perhaps the gears broke. Did you remove the starter and connect it to a battery and see if the shaft actually turns?

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

OK, I pulled the starter and While I can't turn it by hand (I know that's a good thing), I hooked it up and it did spin, now I don't know how to judge if it is a strong enough spin to start the motor, I have no trouble holding onto it while it spins. Somehow I would expect to have a more powerful spin, but then again my only comparison is to a starter that goes on a full size car.

Now I have some service receipts from the PO and 9/15/08 he had an oil change and they put in GN4 10W40. Before I jump to the oil I should mention that when it stopped starting I had just returned from a 20 mile ride and it only sat for about 1/2 an hour.

As far as push starting, that thought scares me, we have a slight incline to our driveway and after four attempts (pushing back uphill) we gave out before our backs did.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I'd take the new starter to a shop and have them look at it before you go digging into the bike for something else.

How's the health of your battery?

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

The battery is good, it's brand new and it's the one rated best for the wing.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Well, I took it in and it load tested today and they confirmend the starter has issues, I called the company where I purchased it through and they said to send it back and they would ship out another one the same day.

So, it will sit for a little longer. Well....i guess that gives me more time to shine the chrome and clean the seat. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the seat wasn't black, it was indeed burgandy. Time for saddle soap and elbow grease.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Most guy's here get their starters thru "Stocker starters". you get good quality from them.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Onetime I had a carb float stick and fill up a cylinder with gas, would not turn over. I took out all the plugs and hit the starter..... stand back before you do this ....gas flew everywhere!!! Then I had to drain and replace all the engine oil. This happened so quickly I could not believe the guy that told me what was wrong, every since then I always keep my petcock closed upon stopping.:gunhead: picasso

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.