Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, I'm believing the starter isn't the problem, just the symptom. I put the new starter in on tuesday and it was great. I took it for a short ride that day, it sat wednesday and I took it for a long ride to day, about fifty miles. It sat for a couple hours, then I used it to pick up my stepson from school 3 miles away. It sat for maybe half an hour when i wanted to go to the store and nothing. I hear it engage, but all it does is whine and strain, even a cheap starter lasts longer than this.

So the question is, what else could be happening to cause this?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

if you can hear the starter spinning then it may be the starter clutch. first thing to do would be changing the oil.

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
imported post

Does it pull the starter down or spin free like it is not doing anything?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

Check your cables and connections for corrosion. Sometimes it will build up inside the cable. With you replacing the starter,you flexed the cables around enough to make a good current path for a short time. Also check your grounding connection where it meets the frame. You have to have a good ground or your amp draw will be really high.
Later Rumple

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure if the "whine and strain" is the same as what I experienced but the solution for me was two fold.

First always put the bike in neutral to start. Sometimes the clutches don't fully disengage and the drag from the engine can cause the starter problems.

Second I replaced the starter solenoid (just behind the battery). No problems since.

I had purchased a used starter and rebuilt it but have never had to install as the old one is working just fine now.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I had similar problems. If I jumped the battery the bike would start. Suspected the battery, replaced the battery and same thing. Checked the postive cable from the battery to the solenoid. It looked fine but when I checked the voltage difference from the postive battery to ground and the positive terminal on solenoid to ground there was a very slight voltage drop.

The positive cable from battery to solenoid was causing the problem, there must have been some corrision thing going on. Replaced this cable and no further problems.

Regular batteries in these bikes don't last long. Anything older than a couple of years and they start to weaken.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.