Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, I'm believing the starter isn't the problem, just the symptom. I put the new starter in on tuesday and it was great. I took it for a short ride that day, it sat wednesday and I took it for a long ride to day, about fifty miles. It sat for a couple hours, then I used it to pick up my stepson from school 3 miles away. It sat for maybe half an hour when i wanted to go to the store and nothing. I hear it engage, but all it does is whine and strain, even a cheap starter lasts longer than this.

So the question is, what else could be happening to cause this?

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
imported post

If you hear the starter spin but the engine doesn't turn the start clutch isn't engaging. What weight oil are you using?

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

10W40

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
imported post

If you are having cold weather and I assume you are in NY you may have to change to 10w30. Also try putting some Marvel mystery oil in the crank case, maybe 8 ounces with the oil if you aren't going to change it soon or a pint and run it a few miles before you change the oil to loosen up the start clutch, it may be gummed up some.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

If it is not your starter clutch, and usually they work fine when they are warm then the gears in the front of the starter may have broken. There is a set of planetary reduction gears in the nose of the starter itself.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.