Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got my bike back from the shop and still have the same intermittent problem. The bike has a new battery,starting motor, wires, plugs, solenoid, and I also replaced the ignition amplifier. I cleaned all the terminals and still the engine will just "grunt " when I hit the starter switch. Here is something I have discovered. If I have the engine kill switch in the off position the starter turns the engine over "EVERY" time. As soon as I put the kill switch back to run the bike won't start. Does this sound like I have an electrical problem? Any more input would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

That's a new one. Sounds like the kill switch is shorting out. Why not bypass it altogether?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

tommyrich wrote:
I got my bike back from the shop and still have the same intermittent problem. The bike has a new battery,starting motor, wires, plugs, solenoid, and I also replaced the ignition amplifier. I cleaned all the terminals and still the engine will just "grunt " when I hit the starter switch. Here is something I have discovered. If I have the engine kill switch in the off position the starter turns the engine over "EVERY" time. As soon as I put the kill switch back to run the bike won't start. Does this sound like I have an electrical problem? Any more input would be appreciated. Thanks
tommyrich, that has all the earmarks of advanced ignition timing during cranking. Not sure how the timing advance system works in that 80 but that would be the first place I checked.

Twisty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd go with what Twisty said on this one, sounds like the timing is too advanced. On the old bikes this was easy to find, the thing would kick you right back when you hit the kick starter. It sounds like that's what's happening to your electric starter. What happens if you hit the starter with the kill switch off and then flip the switch back on while cranking?

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Dear exavid

If I crank the engine with the kill switch off and turn the switch to run while still cranking it fires immediately, every time.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

I think your kill switch is on its way out or corroded.:X

Remove plugs and see if it still happens if it does it is not your advanced ignition timing.;)

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

tommyrich wrote:
Dear exavid

If I crank the engine with the kill switch off and turn the switch to run while still cranking it fires immediately, every time.
I agree with the ignition timing being too far advanced... the only thing I can think of that would allow it to start using the method you describe, is that the starter might be turning the engine fast enough and it has enough momentum to keep turning it, thus starting the engine.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks to everyone who replied. My wife and I got stranded on Fri. night when I went to start it, the bike was dead. It would not crank at all. It was as if the battery was dead. I called for a boost from CAA (Canadian Auto Association) and when he arrived he suggested just giving me a push. It worked. When I got home I tried the starter and it just whirred. It would not catch. I have taken it to another shop in Toronto. He suggested I drain a litre of oil and put transmission oil in its place to see if it would free the starter clutch. I did as he suggested and drove it to his shop but to no avail. Will having this oil mixed with 10w40 damage the engine as I drove it about 50 km.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Not at all. Some say all that MMO is is transmission fluid. Don't worry about it, but maybe you should have driven it more than that to try and free it up.

Are you sure it may not be a failing battery?

Raymond

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Raymond, it's possible that the battery is low, after all the problems I've had trying to start my bike. I bought the battery new last fall when the bike started acting up, but found I had the same problem. I also exchanged the starter but no luck. This mechanic told me I should consider another bike but cosmetically it's like brand new, and I love it. Once I get it going it runs superbly. Thanks again for the infoon the oil.

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.