Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I've experienced an odd thing. Finally got around to draining the oil last night and now, in spite of a dozen, or so, washes, my hands still have some odd odor. Kind of like "burnt?".

I managed to drop the filter housing, with the old filter, into the drain pan, so the clean up was fairly extensive exposing the skin to far more oil than normal, but I don't remember oil ever making my hands stink like this before.

DETAILS:
Only 3500 miles on the oil.
Quality brand (Valvoline M/C oil).
No evidence of water or fuel in the oil.

Anybody got any ideas?
When doing any dirty jobs like that I always wear disposable gloves. What are you washing your hands with? For times I don’t wear gloves I use Dawn dishwashing liquid and a scrubber sponge. It’s the best hand cleaner out there.

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've experienced an odd thing. Finally got around to draining the oil last night and now, in spite of a dozen, or so, washes, my hands still have some odd odor. Kind of like "burnt?".

I managed to drop the filter housing, with the old filter, into the drain pan, so the clean up was fairly extensive exposing the skin to far more oil than normal, but I don't remember oil ever making my hands stink like this before.

DETAILS:
Only 3500 miles on the oil.
Quality brand (Valvoline M/C oil).
No evidence of water or fuel in the oil.

Anybody got any ideas?
Over the past year or so the oil refineries have been buying used cooking oil, automotive lubricating fluids (think grease, oil, atf, gear lube) and refining a second time, then blending this mixture into new gas, diesel and other petro products for use domestically. Perhaps what you experienced is the result of that. If this is the case, all of we home mechanics will have to wear disposable gloves when doing maintenance.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts