Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first Goldwing last August. I tried to find stock photos of the 1999SE. What has been done by the previous owner? I bought from a dealer and several people at the store at the time was impressed with how much was done on this bike. What was done? Here are photos when I bought it. I will get more photos up to show what I have now done.

Attachments

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I upgraded the seat and sold the original one already. I tried to list the backrest on here, but I need five post before I can do that.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
In a hurry for work, but had to look!!! Nice find! I think that maybe the biggest thing done to the bike is the previous owner took great care of her! I have a 99 SE trike conversion, but I know these bikes inside and out from 5 years of owning one. You have a great bike. The only issues I have had is a bad alternator, which was common for the stock unit. I'd bet it has already been addressed by the PO. If not, it's no big deal to upgrade. Also, all the "sub filters" rarely got attention, again, not a big deal, as long as you change them soon if bad. They dry up into cookie crumbs that wreak havock with your carbs. Exellent find, and the 50th Anniversary models are very cool. Mine is a "Mercedes green", which I could live without, but yours is a killer color! HAPPY HAPPY FOR YOU!!! Feel free to PM me, and we'll swap phone #'s!! jimsjinx:claps:

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

Wow that is a great looking bike ! OK, I confess it is the same colour as my 97' SE.

I don't think you have much more that addons done to the bike. I can see handle bar grips, trunk luggage rack, chrome trim on side fairing lights, highway boards, gremlin bell on the rear fender and chrome trim on the fairing edge below the mirrors.

You might want to hang on to the backrest. I have the same one and it is nice to have on long rides. It makes it a bit hard for a passenger to get on.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will get recent photos up soon. I upgraded the seat and a backrest is now a post from the middle of the seat (and removable).

The filter is a K&M, but not sure where or what you mean by "sub-filters". I have replaced the timing belt, plugs, rotors, pads, all fluids, and more I can't recall right now. I did wonder if my carbs need to be sync'd, but it runs and idles great, so not sure. The lights on the saddlebags were cracked and those are now upgraded to 5 bulb version. Arm rest and many accessories were added since the photo. I just custom built a bracket to mount on the handlebars for my ipod. The GPS and other toys work great, but now some more fine tuning. Pictures will be posted soon.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
My 99 also had a K&N, but after a few months, I noticed alot of crud getting past the filter element. I religiously recharged/washed mine, and made sure it was seated properly in the air box, but dirt was always getting through. I went back to the stock air filter element, and nothing gets past that. I sold the K&N on Flea bay. Those sub and cruise filters are a MUST CHANGE. You can make several out of a black foam paint brush,(per Rudy, a long time member), and they work great. See tips on here, where to find the filters on the bike. Mine disintigrated when I touched them with my finger! jimsjinx;)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice on the air filter. I have a factory filter purchased, but the K&M looked new so I left it in place. I know of the filters you are speaking of but will have to find them now. My quads and other toys have them, but I don't recall seeing them. Are they all in the same area as the air filter? If they are, I did check them but it may be worth changing them out as a preventative measure.

Did you spray the filter with oil? When I took out the filter to inspect it, I did apply a coating of filter oil. Would you apply filter oil to the factory filter when installing?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Wow that is a great looking bike ! OK, I confess it is the same colour as my 97' SE.

I don't think you have much more that addons done to the bike. I can see handle bar grips, trunk luggage rack, chrome trim on side fairing lights, highway boards, gremlin bell on the rear fender and chrome trim on the fairing edge below the mirrors.

You might want to hang on to the backrest. I have the same one and it is nice to have on long rides. It makes it a bit hard for a passenger to get on.

Thanks for pointing out what you see. I have no idea what is standard verses an upgrade. I did some mods myself and new photos will be posted of my work. Its great seeing others bikes and what ideas people come up with to make the bike better. My storage capability is greatly improved with my changes. More to come. If you guys have improved the dash area for long trips, let me know ideas.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
You will get differing opinions on the K&N. I like mine. 8 years/over 80,000 miles and I have never cleaned it fully. Annually I remove it and use my small shop vac to suck out the big stuff. Then an inspection and spot of oil if it has any dry spots. I have zero dust/crud buildup under the filter, but others have experienced that. If you keep it, just inspect it every year. It takes a huge amount to actually plug it up. If you switch back to paper, just ignore my comments. No biggie.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...What was done?...
I find these changes:
-Added chrome cover to front side marker lights
-Added floor boards
-Added backrest
-Added chrome trim along sides of dash, mirrors
-Added larger handle bar grips
-Added bubble mirrors
-Added trunk rack, with star washers and flag mount
-Added gremlin bell to rear
-Added 12v power socket to handle bar
-Added cup holder to handle bar
-Added chrome holder for rider intercom wire

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WOW! Thanks for the pix and now I learned I need to do some more maintenance. Even learned about drying out the desiccant on the compressor! Thanks for the info. I know the two filters were not found as I looked over the bike.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the upgrade list. I have done more work too. Tonight I hope to finish my custom mount for the ipod. Seeing several post about installing a 12v plug in the left pocket. Right now I mounted a multi-plug onto the handle bar that plugs into the power socket that was there. Powers the GPS, I-Trip/ipod charger and cell phone charger. I found the tape deck adapter to the ipod works better than FM transmitter (I-trip). I will find cleaner ways to run my wires and improve the appearance once everything is proven out. Photos will follow.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Agree with the cassette adapter. If you ride any distance at all it becomes a pain (IMO) to look for a new, clear, frequency for the FM transmitter.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I promised photos. They don't show the details I hoped, but you get the idea. It looks like three cup holders on the handlebars, but each has its purpose and custom things for each device it holds (ipod, camera, etc.). The folded one on right could go now that I added the one on the left last night.

I need to clean up the wiring and power the multi-port from the keyswitch. I may remove the 12volts from the handlebar and install a port in the left pocket. Would water be a concern in the pocket?

More add ons can be seen and some cannot. An amp is located in the saddlebag. Cargo nets in all bags, liners, etc. Behind the speakers I used a foam surround to prevent pressures behind the speakers at highway speeds. Small Goldwing emblems may not be seen on speakers. Not sure if I am going to keep the cup holder on the right rear. It works great for a passenger, but unsure if it will become permanent. Doesn't seem to sick out too much, so time will tell.

Ideas welcomed. Brainstorming improvements and could learn how others travel with comments or pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My bike needs a wash. Anyone recommend a product to clean and brighten the black plastic on the dash area? I heard Armor All is not that great.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Back to Black, I think Mothers makes it, for the black plastics it's the stuff to use.
Do you have an auxiliary fuse panel with a relay hooked up to power your accessories?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My bike came with the cigarette lighter on the handlebar. It is directly wired to the battery right now with an inline fuse. Behind the cigarette lighter is my multi-port adapter I picked up at an automotive store. These 3 ports work perfectly for the toys I have to plug in for power. If it is raining, this will be put away and the standard bike will do. I did notch out the tape deck to allow the cord to permanently come out of the adapter for Ipod use.

I have to look at the wiring to see where I can put the power source wires so it activates upon ignition or accessory position. I could tap the radio switched wire, but not sure the amp draw at this time.

I will look for the Mothers product and give it a try. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
My bike needs a wash. Anyone recommend a product to clean and brighten the black plastic on the dash area? I heard Armor All is not that great.
Lemon Pledge Spray... the Mother's Milk of gold wings!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.