Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first Goldwing. A 2004 GL1800. I'm new to this forum, and this question has probably been answered before, but here goes.....

Do the 1800's have the same problems with the alternators as their predecessors? What I'm really wondering is, should the stock electrical system be able to handle Honda running lights, a trailer's lighting---nothing fancy, and heated clothing, without ruining the alternator or battery? Thanks, bulldogparts

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum! the 1800 has a pretty good charging system in it & should handle what your asking about. same things will still apply like turning some extra stuff off while in town or in stop & go traffic because the alt is not producing like it will on the open road.
Using L.E.D. lighting greatly reduces the draw from your bike. If your alt fails, You might want to go to a more heave duty one & I think Compufire sells a quality product!
Others will also give their advise, Stay tuned!!
Hatch.:byebye:

·
Premium Member
5,792 Posts
imported post

No problems like the late 1500 had. The 1800 used 2 different alternators. Both good. First one in the area of 70 amp. Later (06 or so) was 80 or so amps. They do not interchange because of the drive coupler. Good sturdy and powerful. Little noisey though. It is like having a power station under you.

·
751 Posts
imported post

Bull If it was me I would go outside start your bike put it in gear & go about 50 miles come home & repete & tommarrow do it again ! If your real concerned take the alt to a shop that rebuilds starters/alts& generators & see what theycan do for you !If not see the first thing I told you ! Good luck Craig !

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

Any GL1800 alternator will handle all you can plug into it. Extra lights, heated clothing for rider and passenger and the heated seat and grips all at the same time.

There have been occasional alternator failures but thats more to do with the fact that they are made in China than what people plugged into the bike.

And welcome to the forum bulldogparts.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

Most people have no problems as long as you don't get crazy. Compared to my old 85 1200 the 1800 has alternator power to spare!
Bill

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

Graphics courtesy of Dylan Saunders (wingnut junior)[/align]

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks to all of you for taking your time to answer. I feel better knowing that the newer systems are holding up better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.