Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hello all, this is mt first post as iam new to the wing family. i just bought my first goldwing and i love it.the only thing about the bike i would like to get is a bit deeper rumble from the exhaust, not a harley anoing sound just a bit deeper, somthing becoming a big six cylinder. has any one gutted the stock exhaust and if so how did it affect the sound, performanc, overall manerisms of the bike, ect,ect.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. I've seen a fair number of GL1500s with collapsed mufflers and they don't get all that much noisier for some reason. The Motads give a lovely deep sound, but are a bit pricey.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

youngwinger wrote:
hello all, this is mt first post as iam new to the wing family.
Hey youngwinger :waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Well, I tried running without the mufflers on my 1200 for a while... I liked the sound, but I couldn't hear the radio that well. :(

If you wanna try running without the baffles, just run a search on the board for baffels, or mufflers and you'll find out how to remove them.

I ended up putting baffels back in the pipes, becuase I was getting tinnitus after longer rides, and I don't like riding with ear plugs.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

thanks for the replies guys. my bike is a 2005 and i havent been able to find any information on whether changing or hollowing my mufflers is going to have any adverse affects on the way the bike runs. if it had carbs i wouldnt worry (easily adjusted) but due to fuel injection im not sure if it will be ok. and pipes are pricy as you said.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Since it is a fuel injected bike, the computer will automatically adjust for the new pipes. If it was carbed you'd need to rejet or alter the idle settings. Since the computer is in the loop, it'll just see that the downstream O2 sensor is reading high, and it'll richen up the mixture accordingly.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Philcsand thanks that makes sence. now i just need to know weather its worth chopping up a set of new pipes for the sound i want.hoping someone has done it and it sounds cool, worried it might sound like a VWbug or corvair.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

With six cylinders it might sound like a Corvair! I had Jardine pipes on my 1200 and they sounded pretty nice, a bit louder than OEM and mellow. Jardine lists mufflers for the 1800. Phil has it right, the bike's computer and sensors will adjust for any change in the exhaust.

http://www.accwhse.com/jardine.htm

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

The Jardines work perfectly on the gl1800. Idle stays steady at the current settings and no popping or backfiring. Much deeper note than the stock pipes give. I have to say that the Jardines are not as well built as the Honda pipes, but they are lots cheaper.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

welcome to the site

I have a motad system on my bike it is not verry good becouse of the deep grunt i come of my bike deaf.

not verry impresed:madeyes::15red:

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Hi Youngwinger, A friend of mine got an 03 bike from the states somebody had removed the tail sections from the exhausts and drilled two 3/8" holes at 3 and nine o,clock as you look directly at the pipes from the rear and then replaced the the tail ends this certainly gave it a deeper sound, when he enquired from the previous owner why it was done he said because he had always had harleys and just wanted it to sound a little louder, i since filled the holes with a chemical metal to put it back the way it should be. The tail sections are easy removed and refitted i suggest u try this before u go changing the pipes if you dont like it you can easy repair it. Regards Dermot.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

me I like the stock QUIET sound:cooldj:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Yes there is nothing quite like it, when an unmodified wing passes me in the car, all I hear is phsss. I like it.
If ya wan't a HOG sound buy a HOG

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Hey dmking

exactly how far up did he drill the holes? I get the 3 & 6 but how far in?

I to want the deeper sound that my 78 had but my 86 is too quiet

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Hi CCSAILOR, i was referring to the silencers on a GL1800 , they plate at the end where you drill is very thin so the drill just penetrates it as for a Gl 1200 you cud try drilling a couple of holes in the collector box if you want to make it louder.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I don't think you can gut a 1200 muffler, the tail ends are welded in place and are too long to get a drill near the baffles.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

Hello,

I have an 84 Aspencade. When i bought it the head pipe/collector joint was leaking and the bike sounded good. I like quiet though. There was a problem at anything over 5,000 rpm, it sounded like the carb slides were sticking and it was worrisome. After welding everything together the way it is supposed to be the hesitation at higher rpms went away. The bike revsbetterand is much faster. The difference is like night to day. I had to idle the bike down by 350 rpms after the exhaust fix to get it to normal. It will now idle as low as 700 rpm but i set it at 1,000. My bike is quiet till i get on the gas, then you can hear the engine and exhaust and intake and it is a very sweet tune to my ears.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
Hey dmking

exactly how far up did he drill the holes? I get the 3 & 6 but how far in?

I to want the deeper sound that my 78 had but my 86 is too quiet

Try pulling the baffels out of the tail pipes you get a nice rumbel then

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.