Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I love my 2007 KLR, but it's my knock-around second bike, upon which I didn't want to spend much money! I'm an old git, retired and on a fixed income, and I have to split the pennies when I can. I'm gonna try and rebuild and reseal my my Kawasaki stock rear shock from instructions I got over the net..... If I screw it up, I'll buy a high dollar Progressive or Moab. But I'm gonna try refurbishing it first.....

My question: does any tool company make a home shock spring compressor that works? Cheap? It seems to me from what I've read that getting the spring off and on the shock would be the kicker...... I've already checked with local shops and they all send them out..... Any advice appreciated! This is the only part of the rebuild procedure that I'm not sure I can handle.....

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

Did you back the preload adjustment all the way off? If you do so, and there is no tension on the spring, then you don't need a compressor.

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

Cuz, could you post a picture? We might be able to come up with a better idea with a visual. Jay

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Big Port Jimmy 6 wrote:
Cuz, could you post a picture? We might be able to come up with a better idea with a visual. Jay
I will as soon as I get it off.... tomorrow, I hope...... I read somewhere that one guy used three 4" heavy duty hose clamps! Threaded them down vertically through the coils, I would reckon, then tightened them equally..... I think I could get the squished OEM spring off that way, since its softer than Richard Simmon's twinker, but Idoubt I couldget the new, stronger spring on.... but I can send the shock to the Spring people and they will put the new one on for free........ If I send the shock with the original on, they would swap them out for free, but I wanna reseal and revalve it.... if they rebuild the whole thing, they charge $425 green ones!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Rambler did a write up on refurbishing 1200 shocks. Have a look at that thread, there were pictures of the spring compressor he used. You maybe able to take the idea and modify it. IIRC it was made of threaded rod and pipe flanges.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.