Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 85 LTD that just showed up at my front door. I was checking air in the tires, and must have gotten too aggressive with the rear, and the stem was too brittle.

Now I have a leaky valve stem. Not the schrader valve, but the stem itself is "ripped" a little.

My question: is this a wheel-off repair, or can it be done wheel-on?

I've not run into this one before. :)

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I haven't done it personally, but I'd say you can flatten the tire, take a large C clamp, and break the bead near the valve stem. What you are trying to do is expose the backside of the stem inside the rim. Then you can get to the back of the stem for complete removal and reinsertion. Take off clamp, and re-inflate!

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
imported post

I would recomend that if there is any way possible to put it the metal clamp style

valve stems if any way possible.

Such as these

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=&productId=p541467&leafCatId=&mmyId=

or these

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=&productId=p535393&leafCatId=&mmyId=

Just a thought. I have seen the rubber valve stems blow out of the wheels while at speed, not a pretty sight. Luckily the rider was savy enough to hold the bike until he could get it stopped and no one was hurt.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

For future reference, new tire, new valve stem. Rubber valve stems will last without problem the life of the tire if you replace the valve stem when you replace the tire. They last for years on cages without fail. New tire new valve stem.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yeah, I always get new valve stems with tires.

Like I said - this one just showed up at the front door - actually yesterday.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

It can be done without removing the tire from the rim.(for a snap in valve stem) Remove the valve core. Then after you get the tire broke loose from the wheel/rim (large C-Clamp and a pry bar/large screw driver)run a wire or cable through the valve stem. This is so you don't lose the bottom piece inside the tire. Then cut the valve stem for removal. Fish the lower halve out of the tire. A large screw driver helps to hold the tire away from the rim so you can see and get this valve stem piece out. remove the valve core from the new valve stem and run the wire/cable through it, again so you don't lose it inside the wheel. Fish it up the hole and snap in it. Install valve core and inflate the tire.:waving: I have done this on my front tire.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Buzzmoe2 speaks the truth. I used the regular straight (not angled) stems from ORielly Auto. They are chrome and have just one nut to tighten from the top side and a rubber washer that seats inside.......... 6K miles and going strong.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks all!!!!!!!!

The C-Clamp idea was fantastic, and I did not have to remove the wheel from the bike. I did remove the left pannier to make the job easer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.