Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting gas at a pump and a 1500 pulled up on the other side of pump. I was surprised to see a device mounted under the bike but did not get to inspect it to find out more detail. However, assuming that it was mounted where the current center stand is mounted, it had two long legs reaching almost to the rear tire with small wheels mounted on the ends. The two legs looked hefty and were formed to go out parallel to the frame and perhaps outside the frame but not out as far as the saddle bags. It, according to the owner, was powered up and down but did not lift the bike, either wheel, off the ground. I have a GL1800 and because of recent physical downturns, this is what I need to keep from going to a Trike. Due respect to all Trike riders. Anyone have a clue to such a device or a better one. A roll on roll off center stand is not what I want. Thanks,

·
Administrator
24,378 Posts
Google knows nothing about it.

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
I forget the name, but used to be advertised in Wing World. Below a low speed, they lower down like at traffic lights, etc. As you speed up, say past 5 mph, they raise and they go high enough, you are just on two wheels.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/295490-honda-1500-landing-gear.html

Below a friend's setup with the then prototype skirts. Skirts were linked so they always stayed level, but stayed with gear up or down. This day in Wva. I followed my friend a good bit, the gear raised up beside the saddle bags and he had as much cornering g clearance as without. I also noticed that he didn't always use them, choosing to override them on leveler, short stops like stop signs where he wasn't waiting for a light to change.

Attachments

·
Administrator
57,469 Posts
They are available for the gl1500 and gl1800 and HD bikes at a minimum,

https://www.landingear.com/home.php

I emailed them last week about one of their kits for another member here, don't know if he ordered one from them or not.

my primary question was if they were the same company that used to be in Louisana before the hurricane that wiped out all of the gulf coast...

they said, "No, we are not, we have always been in Florida, and their kits are patented and proven"... they have videos you can watch

·
Premium Member
36,506 Posts
More than likely he had a product called Landing gear, they extend down at low speeds to help hold the bike up. I have a similar product in the basement called ghost wheels.

You beat me to it John. And if anyone is interested in them I'll practically give them away, but they are ugly!

·
Administrator
57,469 Posts
I happen to own a set of gl1800 landing gear wheels from the original company that made them down in Louisana. complete instructions to install them are with the kit.

they are currently in Arkansas at Lopeha's home. Austin, AR...
it would be best to pick them up yourself, they are a tad bit heavy.

I have $500 invested in them, talk to LandingGear and if that is too expensive, then you might want to talk to me?

·
Administrator
57,469 Posts
That is correct for the Florida based vendor, I have talked with them, they have a good product.

the set that I own, was made by a company of the same name, or nearly so, but they were in Louisiana when the hurricane wiped out the entire gulf coast.

they lost their store/shop/inventory and did not survive.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
There are two other options available:-

https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/

I saw these at Wind Ding 41, very impressive but expensive.

The intermediate steps is the Center Replacement Stand:-

https://bakerbuiltairwings.com/proddetail.php?prod=H18CRS

I have one and love it. The video at the bottom of the above link shows one being able to go up on the stand using reverse. I have never done this as it is really easy to use as one would normally use the the center stand.
Riding off is great, simply climb on and ride off. It is very easy to fit.

Only very slight draw back is not being able to spin the rear wheel when on the center stand.
I carry some small blocks of wood so that if I need the back wheel off the ground I simply lean the bike sideways and fit the blocks under the side stand. The blocks have a step in them as it is easier to go up in stages.

The other thing that impressed me was when talking to the Baker Built man at Wing Ding 41 I asked about a minor problem I had with mine, he said bring it in and we will have a look at it, when I explained I was from Australia and the stand was still at home he said here take a new to replace the old one. What great product support.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
How about just getting a ride on/off center stand. I had one on my 1500 wing. Put it in reverse, put your left foot on the stand and ride it up.

·
Nodnocdar
20 Posts
So here is another alternative, I did this about 20 years ago and it worked fine. Get a used center stand for your Wing from a junk yard or e bay (~$35.00 or less). Find a friend or a shop with abilities to do welding. Guess conservatively at the needed height of the center stand and cut out the unneeded height, reinstall the foot pad. Lengthen the arm on the center stand used to lift the Wing. It took me two tries to get the correct height but it worked and lasted until the bike was sold about 12 years later. What the heck for a few bucks this is a project.

This guy tried it more recently; https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/88912-ulster.html
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/382866-ride-off-center-stand-gl1500.html

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do yourself a HUGE favor and get a full conversion. I have a 2000 GL1500 with a Voyager. My riding buddy has a 2008 GL1800 with a Road Smith conversion... The conversion is light years ahead of any bolt on "trike" or landing gear system. He and I have both been down that road.

Google "KD Cycle" for the dealer in Altoona Alabama...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I tried one of those landing gear addons like in post #3 and it ran me in a ditch twice, The road I was on had a high crown in and when I lowered the landing gear the left side touched down first and made the bike lean to the right and in the ditch I went. Not knowing any better I tried it again and in the ditch I went again. :surprise::surprise::laugh: Anyone that tries one just be careful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried one of those landing gear addons like in post #3 and it ran me in a ditch twice, The road I was on had a high crown in and when I lowered the landing gear the left side touched down first and made the bike lean to the right and in the ditch I went. Not knowing any better I tried it again and in the ditch I went again. :surprise::surprise::laugh: Anyone that tries one just be careful.
Yep, crowned roads are a problem with the Voyager too. Negotiating an off camber turn can get VERY interesting. The reason for this is when you go through a corner, the bike leans in the opposite direction.

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
Norb (his white 1500 in that picture) did not use his on superelevated (road slopes sharply to left or right) stops. He either leaned the bike towards the grade, or found another place to stop it. Those wheels raised up at over 5 mph high enough that other parts of the bike drug first in corners.
So here is another alternative, I did this about 20 years ago and it worked fine. Get a used center stand for your Wing from a junk yard or e bay … etc …
I did this on my 1200 back in the '90s, not the extension though. I did it to the OEM stand, made wider feet and added a means to lock it too … or at least brace it (It would then set safely on center stand in the yard, or field, or etc), but in figuring the step extension, looked like that was gonna hit my muffler on that side. I took 3/4" off the stand's legs at the weld above stock feet, worked great. I arrived at 3/4" by measuring from center of front tire contact to point under rear tire center of contact (A), measured from same contact of front tire to center stand (B). Then looked at how far rear tire was off floor, decided how much I wanted to reduce it(C), so it followed that B devided by A times C equaled 0.75 or near enough. B/AxC=0.75 (in my case)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts