Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
103 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Holy sheet, man! I had no idea this existed. I run MacOS on everything, but I recently "built" a windoze box for gaming and media serving. I don't do any personal stuff on it, but Blackbird will help just reduce the bloat factor.

·
Magic Moderator
4,482 Posts
Windows 10 had a very short life in one of my laptops. It made changes cause it didn't like my settings and added stuff I removed, it was like someone coming into my apartment and rearranging everything to their liking, I felt very invaded. I got disgusted and switched to Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on that laptop.

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm on my new ASUS TUF laptop which is totally not allowing me to install Linux Mint, due to the kernel not having the drivers for the latest NVIDIA graphics card.

that is bad news for me, I'm going to try some other distros to see if any of them have drivers for the lastest NVIDIA cards? not what I want, but I don't like Win10 at all.

I just installed Blackbird..... interesting story there. I had to go into WinSecurity and disable all of their Anti..... you can't do that crap, and I had to turn ON Airplane Mode so the laptop could not access WindowsDefender in the Cloud.

took me longer to disable Microsoft's intrusive behavior than it did to install Blackbird and go thru all of the individual blocks.....
I have blocked everything that needs the MS Cloud services, Edge ( what a piece of crap )
Office in the Cloud by Subscription? piss on that, blocked all of it.

Blackbird is a nice touch.... now that I have figured it out, I need to set it up on my daughter's Acer laptop which is Win10

sigh.... at least I have throttled Win10 somewhat.... more later on my efforts at getting some distro of Linux on this ASUS TUF laptop.

·
Magic Moderator
4,482 Posts
Maybe try Peppermint 10 that's out.
This is from the Peppermint 10 page:
Proprietary nvidia graphics drivers now installed automatically if “Install third party drivers/software” is selected as part of the installation routine, this includes automatic configuration of nvidia optimus setups up to the nvidia-390 drivers. If you intend to install the later 396/410/415/418/430 drivers from the ‘Proprietary GPU Drivers’ PPA it would probably be best not to select this option during install and add them manually post-install.
https://peppermintos.com/

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just looked at their website and the comments on P10 seem to be very favorable.

2 things that I noticed that I like.
  • NEMO file manager
  • Cinnamon Desktop

and it is based on Ubuntu18.04

Peppermint 10 is built on a long term support (LTS) code base, so as well as being customizable to your heart's content, will be "good to go" for quite some time. Peppermint 10 also utilizes the rolling kernel and xorg stack from the hwe-18.04 track

This hopefully will include the drivers for my ASUS TUF laptop.

From reading their website, it appears that English is not the native language for the programmers?

the Facebook page is a mess of mangled grammar and spelling.

https://www.facebook.com/peppermintos

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You may have something no one has tackled yet. Try everything until something works, I guess.
Does this sound like it may help: https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-nvidia-drivers-on-linux-mint
They have a forum too: https://forum.peppermintos.com/
That is assuming that the USB iso actually booted up to a LiveSession.
and that is where I am having all of my problems.

I can't even get that far, Linux is not running period on this new laptop.

I like that it references the Graphics card that is in this laptop, but until the Install Process runs, it won't help me.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
my ASUS have NVIDIA GTX 1060 card,

the info above does not reference that, but I will try it anyway.
My Dell has an NVIDIA GTX 1050 card.

I have so far not found a Live image of any flavour that will boot or install on it.

I did however install Mageia 5 on it from installation media not a live image.

As you would guess that card flies with the eagles.

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just now finished up an effort to install the DailyBuild of BionicBeaver 18.04.3 which is now 3 or 4 days from being released as an LTS.

it sort of got up and running, I will just post a link to the Mint forum instead of trying to copy it here.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=298571&p=1664858#p1664857

after that post, I made one more post, the install is continuing even now as I type this, but it is just outputting a bunch of errors.

see the post for that.

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have not tried either of those, the Kernel must be very recent, like in the last 5 or 6 months, or it won't work with the newer NVIDIA GTX graphics cards.

as I mentioned already, the latest build as of 'today' from Ubuntu almost works.
the LiveSession appears, but does not have any functionality.

then that screen disappears to the OS screen, and no kybd functionality there either.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Christian Labisch's suggestion in the link that Val posted might work for you.
I suggest to boot with the paramater nouveau.modeset=0. It disables the NVIDIA graphics adapter, which most probably needs the proprietary NVIDIA drivers.
The Mageia installation media worked for me because it contains most of the proprietary drivers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts