Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've lost my Honda operator's manual and I need to know the stopping distances for a 1982 Goldwing from 60 mph. that is specified in that manual. Litigation may be involved. Ugh!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

It depends on which model '82 GoldWing you have and how much additional weight you have added or removed. The Interstate manual shows stopping distance from 60 mph under light load to be 175 feet and under full load 190 feet.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Knobby, welcome to the forum. I tried to do a search for you on the stopping distance, but came up empty. I don't have the manual for my 81 which would be the same, and my Clymer didn't have the stopping stats in it. Hopefully, someone here will have the manual and find the info for you. BTW I'm originally from Pineville W.Va. Last timeI was up in the Ft Ashby area was about 1976. But anyway, hang in there, someone will have the info.;)

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

jackjohn wrote:
It depends on which model '82 GoldWing you have and how much additional weight you have added or removed. The Interstate manual shows stopping distance from 60 mph under light load to be 175 feet and under full load 190 feet.
The 83 Interstate manual reflects this as well. I'd say you can use this as a guide for the Aspencade as well. And welcome to the forum Knobley.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

The Honda users manual I have says (for an Aspencade) Light load 175 feet, max load 190 feet.
Guess I could scan the page and email it to you if required.

Ben.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

astrotlv wrote:
The Honda users manual I have says (for an Aspencade) Light load 175 feet, max load 190 feet.
Guess I could scan the page and email it to you if required.

Ben.
That's the same for all the faired gl1100s, not sure if the figures are different for the plain jane.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks to all who responded. The info. was very interesting.

It still sort of freaks me out that I can communicate globally. It's not that I'm a Luddite, but one of my phones still has a rotary dial. I keep it to amaze and befuddle the youngsters. Thanks again toTexas(2), Ireland, Australia, and the United Kingdom.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

Knobley,

From an '80 Standard manual:

Light load 162 feet, Max load 175 feet. "Fully Operational Service Brake"

I believe the brakes on your '82 are slightly different than the '80, but with weight and rubber basically the same, shouldn't change those numbers significantly.

Hope you can avoid litigation. Always ugly.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Knobley wrote:
Thanks to all who responded. The info. was very interesting.

It still sort of freaks me out that I can communicate globally. It's not that I'm a Luddite, but one of my phones still has a rotary dial. I keep it to amaze and befuddle the youngsters. Thanks again toTexas(2), Ireland, Australia, and the United Kingdom.
What's your phone number? Two longs and two shorts? Does it get harder to hear as the neighbors pick up the phone to listen in? I remember those when I was a kid.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

If I am correct, the stopping distances in the manuals are on dry, clear pavement with brakes new or like new and good tires (manufacture recommended).

Surface condition, brake pad wear, brake pressure and tire condtionall affect the stopping distances.

If you areor might be in lidagation, have your bike checked out by a reputable Honda dealer ASAP and have them right up their findings. Also, take pictures of the road (from all angles) and at the approximate time of day. You almost can't take too many pictures of the scene. Was there gravel on the road? Does the road tilt? Was the sun in your eyes. Was there something that could have distracted you at the time? Where were you looking? Any witnesses?

Lots of questions that can be asked, but if you do some homework, you can save yourself some headaches.:doh:

Best of luck to you. Also, GET A LAWYERif you do not have one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.