Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So the wing has too many problems for me to tackle so I am storing it until my father-lawcan come get it. What do you do for short term storage, 3-6 months. What do you put in the fuel and oil to keep from having more problems?

List of problems

1) Carbs kit

2) Timing belts

3) Forks seals

4) Starter switch rebuild

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Top off the gas tank and put some SeaFoam in the gas. Put it on the center stand and don't hold your breath until you father in law gets there!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

there is no reason to fill the tank because it is not metal and you do not have to worry about the tank rusting, but some kind of fuel additive such as seafoam or stabil would be a good idea and be sure to run the engine until you are positive the mix is in the carbs, then I would turn off the gas and run the engine until it runs out of gas.If it will not be stored in a some what heated area then I would recommend taking out the battery and keeping it in a warm area or put on a battery tender

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

If that tank isn't metal, what is it? We are talking about a 1500 her aren't we. Mine is steel.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

FeButter wrote:
If that tank isn't metal, what is it? We are talking about a 1500 her aren't we. Mine is steel.
Sorry. I thought the 1500 tank was the same as the 1800 with the tank under the seat. the 1800 is plastic

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Full tank, Seafoam, Run the carbs dry and keep battery warm. Would a trickle charger done that?

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

no. unless you turn it off after a day or 2 of charging and charge it once a month. a battery tender will monitor battery voltage and turn off and on automatically. If you put a tender on, then you do not have to remove the battery

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

I did not know that the 1800 tank is plastic.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

If you don't fill the tank with gas... condensation will add water to the existing gas. Less air, less condensation.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

As for over-wintering the battery...

- warm battery, fully charged: GOOD
- warm battery, depleated: OK
- cold battery, fully chanrged: GOOD
- cold battery, depleated: VERY BAD!

By cold, I mean below freezing

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

I fill the tank and add Stabil and driver around a bit. Also bring the battery in the house as the garage is not heated. Doesn't hurt to have a fresh oil change too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.