Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I live in an apartment building and have no garage. My couch sits outside all summer, but I cover it with a full cover everytime I park it. Its getting cold here and winter is coming. I have looked frantically for indoor storage for a while now without luck.Its a small town, not many options. Looks like my baby will sit out this winter. Is this a good idea or will I have big problems in the spring?? It gets to -30C in these parts. Cold enough to freeze the nuts off a Honda.:shock:Im most worried about the plastics getting brittle and breaking.

Any ideas on this??

Speedbird

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

15 years ago, I bought a 1989 Toyota 4 X 4 off a guy. When we went inside to do the paperwork, I saw two HD's parked in his living room. If you have a wide enough door, why not consider that?

BTW, I still have the toyota and will again be clearing driveways with it this winter. It has paid for itself three times over, and is still worth some cash.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Speedbird wrote:
I live in an apartment building and have no garage. My couch sits outside all summer, but I cover it with a full cover everytime I park it. Its getting cold here and winter is coming. I have looked frantically for indoor storage for a while now without luck.Its a small town, not many options. Looks like my baby will sit out this winter. Is this a good idea or will I have big problems in the spring?? It gets to -30C in these parts. Cold enough to freeze the nuts off a Honda.:shock:Im most worried about the plastics getting brittle and breaking.

Any ideas on this??

Speedbird

Can you get power out to where you park it? Throw a blanket and small heating pad over the bike and also puta trickler on your battery.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

If you have the space in your yard you could think about buying what they call a portable garage,they are quite easy to set up ,Canadian tire sells them and I am sure other stores would as well,they are actually quite resilient to weather and stand up quite well to wind and rain,snow etc,you just have to make sure they are anchored down well,last time i looked at them in canadian tire they were under 400 dollars

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

You might also want to fill the tank, drain the carbs, and pour in some gas preservative. Change the oil just before you do it too. Make sure your coolant is up to the task of keeping it from freezing (and be absolutely sure you use silicate-free coolant).

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Either way off storing in or out I did this for 10 years in Manitoba The bike was outside and never had a problem in the spring (couldn't find the bike a couple of times in the snow banks)

Change the oil

put in fuel stabilizer

shut off petcock and run engine till carbs run out of fuel

check and top up anti freeze

lightly mist engine; chrome with oil

put bike on centrestand and jack front end up so neither tire is touching ground

Take your battery out and store inside

Cover bike tightly

At least in a small town you prob don't have to worry about a snowplow coming down the street and wiping it out

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

If you must leave it outside

1, Full tank of fuel, stabilized, drain carb bowls.

2, Change oil and filter

3, Ensure Antifreeze is in good shape

4, Remove battery, and place on trickle charger in cool place indoors, NOT directly on concrete. You may want to remove the seat to stop the same little critters from using the stuffing for a next.

5, Get two covers, one from the bottom up the other from top down, top one should be breathable.

6, Wash and wax all plastic, coat of oil or wax on all chrome

7, Block air cleaner intake, and muffler holes to stop the little critters from making a home in your bike.

8, Inject aprox 1 teaspoon of clean oil in each cylinder, Turn engine over a couple of times with oil in it with kill switch off so bike wont start.

9, Give her a big hug and kiss good night and all should be fine for the winter.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Speedbird wrote:

Any ideas on this??

Speedbird
Move house!!!!! Winter in Texas. :goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin:

Pete

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Speedbird wrote:
Cold enough to freeze the nuts off a Honda.:shock:Im most worried about the plastics getting brittle and breaking.

Any ideas on this??

Speedbird
Move house!!!!! Winter in Texas. :goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin:

Pete
Texas can get pretty cold in the winter, I got caught in an impressive snowstorm there once.

Speedbird as the guys said, use some fuel stabilizer, cover her up but make sure there's ventilation under the cover or condensation will cause rust and corrosion. Don't worry about the plastic, it can get a bit brittle but not that bad and it won't break unless the bike falls over so make sure it's on a solid surface. The good news is that in a very cold area the bike will suffer less than in a warm location outdoors. All the bad stuff happens more slowly in the cold. Don't make the mistake of trying to keep some heat like a light bulb or such on her, that will just make the propagation of rust and other nasties worse.

Meat keeps in an freezer, so does a bike. Years ago Ididn't treat my little Honda 90 trail very well. In the winter at Kotzebue it gets down to -52F. Used to park it when the snow came and start it up seven month later when it thawed out. No cover, no prep. Just parked it. It never failed to fire right up. There is one advantage in the Arctic, it's a semi desert so the humidity is very low once winter sets in and there are few if any thaws during winter. The point is that the cold itself won't hurt it at all.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Wow guys, thanks for all the help. I really was worried about leaving the bike out in the extreme cold. Yes, I will do all the storage prep work and hopefully all will be fine in the spring. The tip on oiling the chrome and plugging the exhaust never occured to me, but I will do it. I have lots of shiney stuff and dont wanna wreck it.

thanks again, you guys are the best:clapper:

Speedbird

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've used a coat of car wax on chrome, just wipe it on and leave it. It will repel the moisture and in the spring just buff it off.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Paul is right, just wax the chrome and leave it on, then buff it off in the spring. Much easier then trying to get the oil off the shinny bits it spring.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Here are two "Sealed options" to keep the snow,and the critters out./forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif...........                                                                                                                                                                           http://www.try-tech.com/cycle-pocket/cpt-main.htm#price                                                                                                                                                                              http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-garage/                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             ........a 25 watt bulb in a tomato juice  can chimney will keep all the moisture out of an enclosure like these ...                                                                                                                                                                                                 SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you use any heat with covered items, make sure you have ventilation otherwise the water vapor will congregate in unexpected places, and cause corrosion.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Colder is better for storage

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

For the more northernwingers. I saw in the CTC flyer this AM, that they have a 5' X 8' shelter made of piping and clear poly, and for storing motorcycles. It is $160 CDN.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.