Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys and gals, riding to Panama an my ignition switch cut out on me. Played with the key an a few minutes later up an going. Next day did it again same thing, later that eveining it went out again, this time no luck.

First of all its a 84 aspengade 1200,
all fuses are in tack with a fully charged battery
i am not getting any lights ect.
i have taken out the ignition switch an i see no problems with dirt wiring ect.
any help at this time would be great because i still have a ways to go to get to panama.

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
Have you checked the main fuse on the starter relay?

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Take a look for burnt wires behind the steering counterwieght behind the fairing, you'll most likely have to drop the fairing forward to get a good look and work on it if you have to, but that was the cause when mine went out like that, I got mine fixed with spare wire and some good wirenuts. Good luck.

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Look closely at the bottom of the ignition switch. They are known for popping that plastic "bottom" off and then it won't snap back on. You'll have to figure a way to hold it on, tape, tie wrap etc. if that is the problem.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
If it's an early 84 with the original switch Honda is obligated to replace it under a safety recall.

Of course finding a dealer in Honduras that can get a new switch might present a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
My bet is the main 'dogbone' fuse on the starter relay just aft of the battery. You can replace it with a modern fuse and holder if you want to. These fuses often develop a small crack that cannot be seen, but will fall apart when you loosen the holding screws.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
My best guess, based on the details in the OP, is that its the rivets inside the switch that came loose. This very thing has happened to a few of my bikes over the years. You need to pull the switch apart and with a hammer and punch you can 're-rivet' (thighten) them up. At least, that is all I ever had to do. One way to tell if that is your issue, un-plug the harness connector and see if any of the 'male' tabs in the switch connector wiggle. If one or more do, the rivets holding them to the main part of the switch are loose.

Bill

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I'm with 77Pinto if it's not a fuse. My 77 did tge same thing and I fixed it as described above. Someone had a write up with pics. Pulling the bottom end of the switch off is accomplished by bending the tabs a bit. Be careful as there are a few ball bearings a bit bigger than a bb that are way to lose. Mine has been good for two years now.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
If you cannot get it to work, you can hotwire it using a few jumpers in L-shaped plug withe the wires on the bottom of the ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
My bet is the main 'dogbone' fuse on the starter relay just aft of the battery. You can replace it with a modern fuse and holder if you want to. These fuses often develop a small crack that cannot be seen, but will fall apart when you loosen the holding screws.
I had the 'dogbone' blow on me down in Ocean City MD during Bike Week. It looks like it's made out of lead and had just a hairline crack. I hot wired over it just until I got to an Autozone and replaced it with a $4.00 30 amp setup.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay this is where i stand, first i completely bypassed the dogbone with no prevail. The fuse on the starter relay is good. I have removed the ignition completely no easy task. i took off the snap on the back of the unit all wires are solder an seem very tight. also have cleaned the c80 an all contacts were corosion free an clean,
how do i line up the back of the igintion wires with the casing. looks to me i do not get the wires correct that it will not work at all. plus i do not have any volts to the dogbone would i need the switch back together to check for volts?
i should also add
that the clock worked, but nothin else

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
No volts to the dogbone, the problem is not the ignition switch. the terminal where the + battery cable connects to the starter relay is probably where the trouble is. Good luck with the switch.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jd hit it the plastic piece on the back of the switch moved out just enough to loose all contact. Zip tied it in place n headed to nicaragua. I now have a issue with my tailight going on n off. Still can ride. Thanx for all your help n support muey gracias!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.