Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Forecast for this past weekend looked great, so I met up with two other riders and we headed out to Painted Post, NY. (Corning area)

I left the house and turned on my Garmin 765T to help navigate to the two different meeting spots to hook up with the other 2 riders and keep track of my speed, etc.

It was working great when we crossed over the Peace Bridge, from Fort Erie, ON. to Buffalo, NY. The road speed limit appears as soon as I cross the International Boundary Line, heading into the US,like it always does. There was quite a wait at the crossing and although I shut off my bike, I kept the GPS on (hardwired)

When I cleared Customs, I started the bike and the GPS acted 'funny'. It turned off , so I turned it back on. I hit the usual buttons to take me to the 'Map Display' and it started trying to calculate where we were. It only got to 27% and froze. Although it displayed my position on the map and kept updating it and it showed the road speed limit as well as my own, it wouldn't calculate any route, or POI that I entered. When I shut the bike off, the usual prompt appeared, telling me the unit would shut down in 28 seconds andasking me if I wanted to shut off the unit now, or continue running on battery power. I tried it both ways and no difference. When I would restart the bike, the unit would not automatically activate, so I had to switch the unit on manually. Then it acted the same way, refusing to 'calculate

Once we got to our hotel, I hooked the unit up to my laptop and thought after trying different things that perhaps I rectified the problem, but when I tried it out the next morning, the only thing different was that it would now calculate to 99% of the route. I was frustrated and bummed out about it. I used it as is to the Canadian Border.

Heading back over the bridge, the road speed limit figure dropped right at the International Boundary as usual. We had a 15 minute wait to the border guards and I left the unit on, as I has when entering the States. When I restarted the bike when I was cleared by the border guard, the darned thing restarted and ran as normal, calculating my route home as if nothing wrong had happened. WTF !!! :baffling:

Yes I was relieved/delighted the unit was working again, but now am worried that this might happen again. Anybody have a clue as to what had happened, or have a similar experience with theirs?? :stumped:

Dusty ..... truly baffled

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I've not had a similar experience, but my guess would be that something has corrupted your US maps, at least in the area you were riding in. Try reloading the maps.

John

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Ah .... how do you do that, John? :?

I might add it worked great all summer in the US and Canada, as I crossed back and forth between the two,numerous times.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Could it have been a satellite issue at the time?

I agree with John however, sounds like your USA maps got corrupted. I don't know what you have, I have a Tom Tom xxl and I just connect it to my computer and it will find all the updates for me. If I want to overload something, like the maps, I can do it manually as well.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

There apparently was a bug in the 765. Yours was a common problem. Do a websearch and read some of the personal reviews.
You may want to try a hard reset. To do a hard reset push the lower right corner of the screen and hold it while turning it on. That will take you to the reset screen.

Check out the Garmin.com site. There is a software update for the 765T.
From their site:

Q: My nuvi 755T, 765T, 775T or 785T displayed the message "Updating GPS Firmware" and now it will no longer turn on.
04/12/2011
If your nuvi 755T, 765T, 775T, or 785T displayed the message "Updating GPS firmware" or "GPS Update Complete" and now will no longer power on when plugged into a computer, a home charger, or a car charger, your nuvi will require service to correct this issue. Please visit the following link to contact Garmin Customer Support in order to request service on your device:
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support/supportcontact
Please Note: If your unit will power on when using battery power, or when plugged into a computer, a home charger, or a car charger. A software update is now available to correct this issue. Please use our WebUpdater program to install this update onto your nuvi.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

If you use the Garmin MapInstall program I believe it gives you the choice of reloading the current map version. If you have updates paid for already, then choosing the latest version would be the easiest.

I understand that it worked before, but I've seen some strange behavior from Garmin units before. I've had 2 different Quests, a Quest 1 and and Quest 2, that both locked up while aquiring satellites. I had to take them apart and disconnect the battery to get them to unlock. Greg's Zumo has also locked up a couple of times and taking it apart and disconnecting the battery was also necessary on his. That was from the direction of Garmin support. Corrupt files can happen on any kind of storage media, so it's certainly possible your US maps got corrupted somehow given your symptoms. There may be other explanations too.

A quick search on Garmin's site talks about freezing when enabling Bluetooth, but there was another condition when it freezes when passing by "average Safety Camera zones". They say a firmware update will fix that.

John

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

Ken, try taking the battery out of the gps, clean ends and reinstall.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

I have noted that my Garmin GPS units, regardless of the flavor, all do NOT like to have their power briefly interrupted and then restored.

ie, plugged into the typical cigarette lighter socket it gets power immediately when the key is switched to "ON".
Then we turn the key further engaging the starter AND removing power from the cigarette lighter sockey.
The engine starts within a second and the key is released. Meanwhile, the GPS has NOT completely shut down correctly and it powers right back up.

But, it is all confused. South is North sometimes.

I have seen this many times, too many to count, the cure is to leave it off until after the engine is started and then turn it on.

If you have the GPS hard wired, you best take that power wire directly to the battery, but even then I have had the GPS scramble on engine start.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

or the stored maps may be fine but the corruption happened during "loading maps".. just getting to a new area where different data is used will look like a fix... probably a hard reset (or complete removal of power) will get it going again... for as much as I like my Garmin, there are some glitches.. my 750 would often hangup if I shut it off while a route was in effect (not stopped).... fortunately someone stole it and I got a 765... have had to do a hard reset a couple times (and re-calibrate the screen)

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for your suggestions/input.

I went to the Garmin site and downloaded the 'Web Updater' and did an update.

We'll see if that solves the temporary'glitch' .... the only problem is I won't know until I get back into the States again and that isn't likely going to happen until next riding season, as we are nearing the end of this year's season. :(

If it does happen, I'll try John's advise and open it up to disconnect/reconnect the battery.

Other than this hopefully onetime glitch, it's been a great GPS.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
If you have the GPS hard wired, you best take that power wire directly to the battery, but even then I have had the GPS scramble on engine start.
My lighter socket is wired directly to the battery. Never a problem with my 1350 as described.

I generally leave it on when I first start the bike for the day and do not turn power off until I shut it down for the day, meaning it's on all day most times. I would check the input voltage (from the power source to the GPS unit). Could be a map issue, could also be a flucuating power issue as John describes.

I read that you're hardwired DB, but check the power connection... It's usually something simple like that.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

What version are your maps Ken, ? I found a local source to get the unit & maps updated for $25.00. :waving: He even does it above the table. :cool:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

The maps were recently updated(March?) Bob

CN North America NT 2011.40 3D

CN North America NT 2011.40

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

They should be good then, as you know I've got a 1490, 765T, 765W, 265W used almost daily along with Etrex, Quest ii & never have had any problems, My Quest 1 did freeze out in Idaho coming back from NASSIR ll but 2 day's later it came back to life on it's own..
Planing to do a run up through Calabogie & Wilno tomorrow. :action::action::action:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Ya ... well mine came back 'to life' when I reentered Canada. :?

Don't know where I'm heading tomorrow. Which way is the wind blowing? ;)

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Ya ... well mine came back 'to life' when I reentered Canada. :?

Don't know where I'm heading tomorrow. Which way is the wind blowing? ;)
Hopefully from the south :action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

It seems pretty obvious that you have a Canadian model there Ken....

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

It's the new HOME LAND SECURITY stuff implemented last week.
Foreign GPS units are now scrambled to prevent terrorists from plotting fast routes or non-highway routes to bombing destinations.

Sorry, but since your Canadian it is assumed you are a terrorist.
To enter the USA from Canada now you must leave your first born and second born at the border for security reasons.

If a USA citizen re-entering the USA from Canada you are only required to leave the first born.

In the event you do not have any children, well then you must apply for Canada citizenship and just stay there now!

We do have an exception clause however.
If you fly into Mexico you can cross/sneak into USA anyway you choose and stay for 30 days. Then you are exempt and may stay and draw benefits as a hardship case.

This also works if you fly into Cuba, strap 55gal drums to a truck and float into Florida.

But if you come in from Canada now forget it!

Isn't Homeland Security the greatest thing since Cracker Jacks, or Pogo sticks LOL

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

No offense meant to any of my Mexico or Cuba friends!
Just the USA government should be offended!
And it is well deserved!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.