Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The new owner of the Green Machine emailed me tonight. He's had an odd occurrence, when he parked the bike on it's sidestand itwould make a buzzing sound for a second or so every couple minutes with the key off. He put it on the centerstand and it seemed to quit. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or it just quit on it's own. It never did anything like that while I had it, I could only give a couple ideas about trying to localize the source of the noise, can't guess much about it until I know where it's coming from.

I did give him this forum's URL 'cause I know so much expertise exists here, maybe someone else has had a similar experience with the SEI.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

An odd suggestion, but couldn't it also be the "lean sensor" trying to activate the turn signal cut off solenoid?

Jack

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
The new owner of the Green Machine emailed me tonight. He's had an odd occurrence, when he parked the bike on it's sidestand itwould make a buzzing sound for a second or so. It never did anything like that while I had it.
Hey exavid :waving:

The old green machine is pining for you. :crying:She wants to come again. :stumped:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
The new owner of the Green Machine emailed me tonight. He's had an odd occurrence, when he parked the bike on it's sidestand itwould make a buzzing sound for a second or so every couple minutes with the key off. He put it on the centerstand and it seemed to quit. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or it just quit on it's own. It never did anything like that while I had it, I could only give a couple ideas about trying to localize the source of the noise, can't guess much about it until I know where it's coming from.

I did give him this forum's URL 'cause I know so much expertise exists here, maybe someone else has had a similar experience with the SEI.

exavid, you might suggest he loosen the fuel filler cap after shut-down to see if the noise quits.. I'm new here so not sure what the "Green Machine" is but if an emission era bike it's possible the fuel in the tank is hot soaking & gassing therefore causing the fuel tank pressure relief to buzz as it releases built up pressure.. This could be happening now if the bike was fueled with winter gasoline as winter gasoline has a lower vapor point so boils at a much lower temperature..

JDC

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Good thought JDC! I emailed him early this morning before going to work about that and the possibility that it might be the radiator cooling and drawing coolant from the expansion bottle. I have heard them make slurping sounds in the past, it takes a little vacuum to pull the check valve open, a little fluid goes down the tube, and the valve makes a little noise. Pressure is equalized and a little while later as the rad cools the whole thing repeats.

:stumped:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Why the difference with the centerstand? Coincidence?

Tell him to send it to me to diagnose it for a few years.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Score one for JDC! :clapper::clapper::clapper:

I just got an email from the Green Machine's new caretaker and he said he found it today, it was indeed coming from the fuel cap!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

I guess that means he will not be sending it here.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Brojees wrote:
I guess that means he will not be sending it here.
Possibly not!

:crying:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

It's probably that "Montana Gas made from sheep" !

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
It's probably that "Montana Gas made from sheep" !
Be careful with any mention of sheep, you'll set REDWING off again, he's a bit tetchy about the subject. Been out there on that island too long probably!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.