Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Took the wing for a ride a weekago sunday and the charger wasnt putting out. The head lighe was very dim.

went to the shed to check out the yellow wires and regulator but before I did that I unpluged the headlite fuse and started the beast to find the charger was working fine... Is the headlite not any good? or What??? I have never run into a headlite that caused these systems!!!

Griz

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

It sounds like you may have to check the headlight wiring (circuit including the switch) for a short. I doubt that it is the headlight bulb.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

Could be a number of causes on this one. Most are bad stator,bad rectifier, bad connections or bad grounds...

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

Did you check the output of the stator properly? Disconnect the three yellow wires from the stator, using an AC volt meter you should read minimum 55 VAC accross ALL wires, 1&2, 2&3 and 1&3 with the bike running at 2500 RPM. If any one leg is below that then the stator is bad. Disconnect the leads then start the bike to measure voltage correctly. If everything is good with the charging system I'd check for a bad ground in the headlight circut.

Also possible is a weak battery.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

when inspecting the headlight I found the PO had a headlite blinking mechenizing attached to the headlite... Im disconecting this but dont know what should stay and what goes??? not much room to work...

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Most likely, it's that running without the headlight has lightened the load on the stator- allowing it to show a small charge. Sorry to say, but that's exactly how mine and my mateswent. Disconnect the 3 yellow leads and test back towards the alternator' looking to see if your getting any continuity to earth. If so, it's a gonner I'm afraid. steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.