Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For several weeks now, I've woken up with a desire for a ............... (sob!)...

Harley!

Not to seriously ride, not to cross a continent on, but just to have and to hold..... to polish and to fix... and to possibly reconnect with the shade of my departed father, with his '51 Panhead, whiskey breath, and the little black cap with the white bill thathe worepushed waybackon his laughing head.......

He was a veteran of the Pacific War, and I don't think he ever understood or forgave my preoccupation with Hondas. He couldn't take them seriously, and he couldn'tever see meas a true rider! I couldn't then understand his dislike and distrust of all things Japanese; but I think I do now..... It's okay, Pops, you had paid your dues -- and I wish I could have understood you better.

Doesn't have to be much of a Harley.... just a sporty, maybe some corporate donk without a job will unload one that I can get for dimes on the dollar..... he probablyisn't riding it anyway!

or maybe this, too, shall pass....... and I'll again wake in the mornings with peace in my heart.....

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

Cousin the same thing happened to me about a year ago.Now I love my wing but.Every time I go out on my 1200sporty I come in an tell the wife IT'S LIKE GOIMG BACK 30 YEARS.Go for it.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
For several weeks now, I've woken up with a desire for a ............... (sob!)...

Harley!
Funny you say that, as I wake up thinking of my son riding on a Harley, hoping that he will wise up some day and get a Honda as his pop has had for so many years. I thought I taught him right. I think he is being hard headed just because. He is a veteran as well as I. I tell him how comfortable I ride compared to his knee knocker, but will he change - probably not. But he is still my son and he rides.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

My dear departed dad felt the same way about the Japanese Cousin! He would not own a Japanese made vehicle at all even though he admitted they made good products. He never forgave them for bombing Pearl Harbor.
I do miss his WW 2 stories.

I remember him putting me on the tank of the Indian he used to ride when I was about 4 years old!

I wouldn't mind having a Kawasaki Nomad instead of a Harley!

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Doesn't look very comfortable with those drag bars. I guess if you're just tooling around town it would be alright. Don't expect much from the 883 motor though.

Save your money, sell the ST and get an 1800.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I know how you feel. That is one reason I ride my 1500 Vulcan Classic. It looks enough like a Harley and I couldn't afford the "real" thing. Close enough for me and the long term dependability is there too.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

My Dad died the year the 1200LTD came out. He and I shared views on many things, including scoots. We also always bought American, whenever possible. Unfortunately, there is no American competition for ol' Big Red, or Big Green, or Big Yeller.

He was a Journeyman Machinist, and I'm an Electrical Designer, so we both tended to base things more on the technical and mechanical, than the emotional.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Are you sure you were wearing your helmet when you took out that deer CJ? :cooldevil:JK friend, well mostly kidding anyway. :dude:

John

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I did note in your post "and to fix" at least your going in with your eyes open.

Wouldnt we all like a stable of bikes.. A harley, to leave in the driveway, a cruiser for running to the doughnut shop, a BMW to keep the harley company in the driveway.... and a wing to ride.. :)

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

Hello Cousin Jack,

:action:There's nothing wrong with Harley's, especially if you still have a Wing for serious trips. I rode them for twenty years and have some great memories. But I'm more of a one bike at a time guy, so I've got a nice 2000 Wide Glide for Sale. If you are interested PM me and I'll send you the details. :action:

(If I hadthe money Jay Leno has, I'd probadly have a barn full of bikes and cars and helicopters and airplanes andboats - shorta likehe does.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

The Wide Glide looks like you Mel!

Bernie

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
The Wide Glide looks like you Mel!

Bernie
I can just look at that, T-Wing, and know I can't afford it! But that's okay.... there's damn little in life that I can afford! Besides, it's not getting what you want that matters, it's wanting what you have!

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

Don't worry CJ my next ride to add to my collection will be a Harley Davidson. I've wanted one all my life, It wasn't until I bought my wing last year that I actually aquired a love for them. I will keep my wing for comfort but I will have my harley for youth.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

Honda may be a Jap name but my GL1500 is made in Ohio. I even have a Made in USA stamp on the valve cover. Have road a Harley but was not for me. I kinow there are thousands of them in my area. But I am not ready for 1 yet.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

see my username...

I once had a Harley...

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

We only get to go around once Jack, If you're feeling the need, Do what ya gotta do.

I've had a few HDs over the years, and for the most part I don't regret the experiences.

Well, except for the squished discs in my lower spine and the titanium plate and 8 screws in my neck. All from what I'm sure was caused by the many miles I put on those "Cool" hardtail Harley choppers.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.