Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just refurbed the starter on my 82 and now the bike is acting weird.
The bike will power on(lights,gauges), but as soon as I hit the starter button, all the power shuts off. The bike will not power on again, but if I wait 10 mins it will power on. Fuses are all good. Battery is good at 14+ volts.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

What issues were you having that prompted you to rebuild the starter in the first place?

It appears that there is an insulated electrical connection touching a grounded point somewhere. If this was not the problem prior to the refurb, then the contact is internal to the starter or solenoid, commonly called a "short" to ground. Need more information at this point.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

are you starting in neutral?

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

gaillarry wrote:
Just refurbed the starter on my 82 and now the bike is acting weird.
The bike will power on(lights,gauges), but as soon as I hit the starter button, all the power shuts off. The bike will not power on again, but if I wait 10 mins it will power on. Fuses are all good. Battery is good at 14+ volts.

Anyone have any suggestions?

gaillarry, check the battery voltage AGAIN while trying to crank.. If it stays above 12 volts suspect an open wire connector terminal, failing main fuse, or defective ign switch.. If the voltage drops to under 10 volts suspect a depleted or bad battery.

JDC

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

JDC is correct. A bater is actually flat at around 9.5 volts. You need to see if it's holding more than 10 volts when the starter button is being pressed for a few seconds. :)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

What happens if you turn the key on and turn on everything except hitting the starter button? Will the power stay on? I would suspect something is shorting out on the starter or near it. Sounds to me like a short exists between the starter solenoid and the starter itself. Disconnect the starter cable from the starter and jump a heavy wire from the battery directly to the starter to see if it cranks. If that works you have a short somewhere between the starter and the starter side of the starter solenoid. If it doesn't crank the problem is in the starter itself. Possibly and internal short. These problems almost always turn up to be where one last worked on the bike.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

When you rebuilt the starter you might have caused a short through the +veterminal insulater on the starter motor or the insulater is breaking down with age causing a tempory short.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Found the problem. If I wiggled the starter relay the power would go on/off. I removed the connector, sprayed it with WD40 and problem solved!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.