Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the new to me 85 carbs done and rode it today. I had no rear/foot brake. But good hand brake. Took it home and bled the foot brake with a helper doing the pumping. Foot brake pedal feels great now. But haven't rode it. But I'm sure its fine.

So I thought might as well do the hand brake too. Bled it several times, then suddenly lost all pressure and can't get it back. I think my helper might have been squeezing too hard and possibly blew a seal in the master cylinder. Does that sound logical?

If I take the line off the master and hold my finger over the hole and squeeze, it will suck my finger in, then I have a firmer lever again. I hook the line up and no pressure.

I'm trying a gravity bleed now but not expecting much. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Administrator
26,938 Posts
The return hole in the master cylinder is plugged up. There is a little metal cap in the bottom, pull it out and under it is a tiny little hole.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The return hole in the master cylinder is plugged up. There is a little metal cap in the bottom, pull it out and under it is a tiny little hole.

Did that all ready too,,,lol.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,937 Posts
I think there are two holes under that cover. The small one is nearly invisible.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Small hole plugged or you let the master go dry when bleeding, not uncommon to have to bleed the master especially after rebuild.
Cover everything up and disconnect the hose but keep it close.
Wearing gloves use your finger like a bleeder over the master outlet e.g. pull and hold leaver, release and replace finger, release lever repeat till master pressure forces finger off then with lever in reconnect hose and bleed to caliper keeping master full all the time.
Never heard of anybody overpressuring a Honda master and doubt its possible but it is possible over travel has hit some corrosion in the bore in which case a strip and seal kit is in order

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The right hand side master cylinder is the front hand brake. Left side is the clutch. (As you sit on bike.)

When I say left side I'm talking about the brake caliper.

·
Administrator
26,938 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used a Mityvac vacuum bleeder and all is well now. Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
26,938 Posts
I used a Mityvac vacuum bleeder and all is well now. Thanks for the help.
Hopefully you pulled whatever was plugging that return hole through. Better take a bleeder wrench with you so you can release the pressure when the brakes heat up though just in case.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hopefully you pulled whatever was plugging that return hole through. Better take a bleeder wrench with you so you can release the pressure when the brakes heat up though just in case.

This wasn't broke until I fixed it,,,lol. It was working just fine until I decided to bleed it. It was nasty in there so I cleaned it. I used a tooth pick to try and gently clean the hole. But I was scared there might be a seal underneath. I also used a q-tip. That's probably what put the junk in the hole causing the problem that did not exist before.

Do you think a tooth pick is even small enough to get in there? Is there a seal under that hole that I have to watch for? Thanks.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,722 Posts
nope, a very fine wire from a bristle brush is what is usually used.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,937 Posts
You didn't get the small hole. There are two under that cover.
Take Dave's advice and carry some tools.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You didn't get the small hole. There are two under that cover.
Take Dave's advice and carry some tools.

I'll be taking it back apart to do it correctly.

Speaking of correctly. My metal tab thingy was standing straight up in the hole. I put it in like I thought it went. But I might have it upside down. I just watched a youtube video and this guy has his opposite of mine.

Is this the the right way? Seems like it would totally block the hole this way. This is a screenshot from youtube.

canvas.png

·
Administrator
26,938 Posts
That is correct. The tiny hole in question is under the end closest to the banjo bolt. It takes a fine wire like from a wire brush or maybe a small sewing needle.

Reactions: limpy45
1 - 17 of 17 Posts