Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just changed timing belts and flushed the cooling system...after I rode a few miles I started hearing this noise it seems in the right front of the engine...It makes the noiseloudest at 2500, sounds like a bearing,but even at idle and reving it just to 1500 and letting off I hear the noise,whenI let off, still sounds like a dry bearing, I hope I did not get the belt too tight and ruin a adjustment pully, I had 1/8" of slack at the middle of the belt...as soon as it cools down I will take the timing covers back off and listen again... thought it might be a water pump noise, but it seems on the right side around around the tension adjuster.

Dean

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

It does seem like the adjuster pulley will need replacing. It was probably due replacing soon anyway and you just spurred it on sooner.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi Dean, pop your timing covers off before you run the engine again, if it's not the tensioner bearing. the belt maybe rubbing on the casing

Check it before the belt snaps!!!!!!!!!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Dean, try loosening the belts a wee bit, if they are just a little bit tight you'll get that noise, kind of somewhere between a whistle and squeek. If the idlers felt smooth running and had no slop most likely they are okay, they seem to last forever.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Paul,

I will try that, it makes sense, it could be a vibration from the belt too tight,,,,at 25-2600rpms it makes the sound off and on,,but at 2800 to 3000 it quites back down,,,,does it on the let up at slow rpms....and just for a second or so...

Much Obliged,

Dean

Thanks Eamonn, and Johno, if this does not cure the problem I will procede to your advice...Thanks to you both...

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Paul,

THANKS A LOT,,,,,I just took a ride and the noise has stopped, I loosend the right belt just a little as you suggestedand it cured the problem,,,I had wedged it a little too tight. Glad to get in a ride as the weather is going to crap again tonight. Happy Easter to everyone.

dean_3326 :12red::12red::12red::12red::12red::12red:

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Had a similar whiney noise on the last ride of the season. I started to slow-down, then realized I've been haulin' HER around for the last 33 years... :action: :gunhead: :action:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Shooter,

You are going to get into so much trouble, that even Redwing can not talk you out of it....

dean_3326 :12red::12red::12red::12red::12red::12red:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
Shooter,

You are going to get into so much trouble, that even Redwing can not talk you out of it....
Asking REDWING to help out on the distaff side would only get you in a lot deeper!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
Paul,

THANKS A LOT,,,,,I just took a ride and the noise has stopped, I loosend the right belt just a little as you suggestedand it cured the problem,,,I had wedged it a little too tight. Glad to get in a ride as the weather is going to crap again tonight. Happy Easter to everyone.
Yeah, I learned about that using the empirical method! :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Paul

I wasn't sure if it was the empirical method :weightlifter:eek:r the metempirical :baffled:method I believe either method would suffice.

dean_3326 :12red::12red::12red::12red::12red::12red::12red:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.