Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, another bike with another problem. Its a 2006 model 1800 and as you start to release the clutch and engage drive it starts making a strange noise below the seat i believe. If it was my car i would say clutch release bearing.
Once riding the noise goes away or at least i can't hear it.
Any ideas would be appreciated as always.
Cheers Bash

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
Hi guys, another bike with another problem. Its a 2006 model 1800 and as you start to release the clutch and engage drive it starts making a strange noise below the seat i believe. If it was my car i would say clutch release bearing.
Once riding the noise goes away or at least i can't hear it.
Any ideas would be appreciated as always.
Cheers Bash
On motorcycles it is known as the cltch lifter bearing I think. Typically it is silent at all times except when the clutch lever is squeezed. Like a car throw out bearing makes no noise until you push the pedal down.
Yours doess not sound quite like that though. It sounds like you are saying you can squeeze it all the way in and engage the gear with no issue. Then when you release the clutch to go the noise appears at the friction point. Is that right?

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So just went to double check and there's a bit of a growling all the time but when sat with the brake on making the clutch bite it gets a lot worse.
Cheers Bash

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
The clutch on the 1800 does make some noise.

It sounds like you are pretty sure yours is too loud but it's always best to rule out the easy stuff first, eg. listen to a similar bike if there's one near you, change and flush through the clutch fluid, be sure you have the right grade engine oil in good condition.

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
John is right. They tend to "rumble" in neutral with the clutch lever out. Is it clearly an offensive sound? Compare it to another 1800 sounds like a really good idea.

·
Administrator
25,044 Posts
I think what you are hearing is normal. I get a noise if trying to ease out on the clutch to move slowly like turning around in tight areas but I mostly just give it some throttle and move out quickly from a stop and don't hear it.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had 3 others and non made a mechanical noise like this. Will dump the oil and refresh that to start with.
Converting it to a trike so was thinking if its likely the clutch may as well do it while i have the swing arm out. Its only done 65k so shouldn't think it would need one yet.
Cheers Bash

1 - 7 of 7 Posts