Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I ran over to town today to get a battery for the lawn mower and when I started my 1100, she made this gawd awful noise. I really thought that the starter chain had broken. So I was faced with the question, do I try to start it again. I had to know, so I hit the start button again. The starter engaged but the engine seemed locked.
In about 4 minutes, I had the starter off, the chain and gear looked fine, I could turn the starter. Buttoned it all back up and hit the switch and the motor spins over just fine. Usually she starts about as fast as you push the start button. But now she just cranked and cranked. I checked the kill switch, still on, I gave her some choke and she hit but didn't start. I did not say at the beginning that when I was starting it, I had cracked the throttle a little while pushing the start button. She likes a little throttle when she is warm and are not using the choke. So while cranking her over, I opened the throttle pretty good and she started. She seemed to be flooded. I gave her some throttle and she cleared up and settled down to a good idle. I went to town and when I was ready to come back home she started just fine. She has since I got her sometimes made a strange clunking noise when being started, not all the time just sometimes. Motor is not noisy and she runs great.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
imported post

i had almost the same thing happen when the dirt under my bike got wet and she fell over . you might have gas dumping into the cyliders when she sits for awhile and it got hydrolocked is my guess

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

did you shut off the fuel when you parked it

i shut my fuel off each time unless im getting fuel really quick and leaving but if i park it and go in a business i shut off the fuel make it a habbit.

the fuel shut off is there for a reason use it these things are not fuel injected. so even if you have a teeny tiny one millionth of a drip still it dont take much to lock up the motor like that.

try shutting off the fuel each time and see what happens

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

countryboy843 wrote:
i had almost the same thing happen when the dirt under my bike got wet and she fell over . you might have gas dumping into the cyliders when she sits for awhile and it got hydrolocked is my guess
Countryboy.....run that by me one more time????????

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I had something similar happen to my 80 suzuki when I left the valve on, but then again I should have noticed the large puddle under the bike and the smell of fuel. LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

If it was hydrolocked, wouldn't I have to get the fuel out of the cylinder before it would crank? All I did was pull the starter and put it back and she cranked up. No raw fuel smell, no fuel on the floor.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

depends on how bad it was hydrolocked sometimes if its just a minor issue the engine will kinda lock up but wait a minute and the fuel will push past the cyinder rings, or through the valves thats my guess on what happend to you anyway its happend to me many many times and from what you described its to the letter of what happend to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.