Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What is the strangest feature on any bike That you have owned?:shock::shock:

The 175 Bridgestone I owned had a dual transmission. It had a small lever on the side of the transmission. In one position it would shift 1 down 5 up like a normal bike. When you moved the leaver back it would shift 4 up. Neutral was still between 1st and 2nd but when you shifted up from 4th it went back to 1st and started over again. It made for very interesting happenings when riding down the road at 60 mph up shifting expecting 5th but getting 1st:shock: because someone had moved the lever (or I forgot what postion I left it in)

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

many moons ago, 1960 70's I rode a friends Jawa 250cc 2 stroke, it was horribly underpowered, for its size, and wringing its neck, produced about 60 mph with a tail wind down hill.

the gear box too for its time, was innovative, you only needed to use the clutch for first gear, and once rolling it was just a matter of holding the throttle open clicking up or down through the 3 gears, with no clutch.

it had an arm with a roller bearing at one end, and when pressure was applied to the gear lever, it would lift out, and disengage the clutch.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I still think that one of the strangest things I have ever encountered on a bike is the way the 1800 radiator fans blow forward.

It doesn't matter how many times you say it's to keep the rider cool, it is still weird.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I hope she's not on here for a while, or you'll have a time on your hands!!

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Strangest feature - got to be the buttons/switches that do nothing. Just there to fill in and not hooked up:?

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Reverse:

If ya' can't backpedal it alone, it's too big for you.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

How about the counter weight nunder the front of the fairing on the gl1100. no one really seems to know why it is there.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

How about the counter weight nunder the front of the fairing on the gl1100. no one really seems to know why it is there.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

back to the jawa 250/350, did they not have a gear lever that doubled as a kickstart lever ?

I'm sure my 350 had this feature, at the shaft end you pushed the lever in and it sprung up to become the kickstart lever and once started then became the gear lever, at least you never missed the lever when selecting a gear as the tip was so long, but I never did get used to kicking a bike from the left hand side (often kicking it not to start it.........)

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Back in the early 70's, Dad bought 3 Suzuki 125's to ride in the Az. desert. The tranny had a dual mode.Three gears in trail, and three gears in street.We rode them do death,untill they were repossessed by the bank.(hard times).I remember the feelings of dispare when I came home from school and saw the men loading them up on a trailer.Real bummer. Mine was this god awful lime green color,the other two were yellow.I learned alot on that old bike! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Heated grips , heated seat, and even an air bag is available. :cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Norton motorcycles. I have never been able to ride one , never had one for any length of time, but just to take it for a test ride is something. It is designed for all those guys who drive on the wrong side of the road. :) It is very hard to stop at the end of the drive when you are pushing down on the shift lever with all your might and and not slowing down........then you remember, hey stupid the brake lever is on the other side. :action::action: Kit

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Phils a winger at last wrote:
back to the jawa 250/350, did they not have a gear lever that doubled as a kickstart lever ?

I'm sure my 350 had this feature, at the shaft end you pushed the lever in and it sprung up to become the kickstart lever and once started then became the gear lever, at least you never missed the lever when selecting a gear as the tip was so long, but I never did get used to kicking a bike from the left hand side (often kicking it not to start it.........)
My friends 350 had this feature. Used to really freak-out all the Harley owners when we left work. He bought it used in 1975. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

back to Jawa,s the igniton key seems to be the wierd thing as it was only a straight piece of metal with a groove in, basically we found that if you ever lost your keys, simply go to the shop get a lolly and use the stick off it to turn the bike on.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
imported post

That's right, many of the Jawa/CZ range had a gearchange lever that when pushed in, converted to the kickstart.

I lent my Jawa 350 to a friend of mine who normally rode a Honda 750. On his first ride, he came back on foot after half an hour or so, saying he'd had to dump the bike at the side of the road. He'd stalled it, and couldn't find the electric start button !

Of course, there was no electric start button, my fault, I'd forgotten to tell him about the double functioning gear lever...

Kev

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
Reverse:

If ya' can't backpedal it alone, it's too big for you.
Hmmm, ever had your Wing on a downhill slope on gravel/sand and no way to turn it around without backing up?

John

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

derekhendry wrote:
back to Jawa,s the igniton key seems to be the wierd thing as it was only a straight piece of metal with a groove in, basically we found that if you ever lost your keys, simply go to the shop get a lolly and use the stick off it to turn the bike on.
Like Jawa - BMW had the "nail" key on older models. My /5 could be operated with a nail.

Now, not a motorcycle weirdness but I've always wondered why they put Braille instructions on drive-up ATM machines?

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Norton motorcycles. I have never been able to ride one , never had one for any length of time, but just to take it for a test ride is something. It is designed for all those guys who drive on the wrong side of the road. :) It is very hard to stop at the end of the drive when you are pushing down on the shift lever with all your might and and not slowing down........then you remember, hey stupid the brake lever is on the other side. :action::action: Kit
My issue of the Norton wasn't what was on it, but rather what wasn't on it. The motor being hard bolted to the frame resulted in so much vibration that my arms were numb up to the elbows.

For what I now consider to be a strange feature, the kill switch. For dirt riding and racing it was a vewry valuble feature, especially with a bike that worked off of a generator, had no primary ignition systemm hense no key to turn it off.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.