Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My 2720 thinks I am pushing an area on the screen all the time. I can see (in the right light) a very small area that looks like a small crease. You REALLY have to look to find it, but its there. A couple of questions:

1. Is the outer touch screen portion non-electronic and able to be straightened out? Like removing it from the electronic part and either flipping over or something similar?

2. If not, can it be replaced? I am buying a 2610 from a friend, thinking that I can just replace the screen portion. I dont think the electronic portion is the same, the 2720 has far better graphics, plus the "3-D" view that the 2610 does not.

3. Any other options? I am handy with electronics as I've already replaced the mini-USB port from my old 2610.

I kinda want to keep the 2720, as I just bought lifetime upgrades for it last year. If I could get another couple years out of it, that'd be wonderful. Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

That is a shame that you are having issues with your unit, I had a 2610 in use for many a moon and despite it being pretty basic compared to newer models of GPS, it always worked well.
In fact I still have it in it's original box with all it's fittings, ready do do something with.....:?

if you can't get yours fixed, I bet you could find another unit on Ebay or similar, for not too much money.
Sorry I can't really help you with advise about a fix.
:waving:

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
That is a shame that you are having issues with your unit, I had a 2610 in use for many a moon and despite it being pretty basic compared to newer models of GPS, it always worked well.
In fact I still have it in it's original box with all it's fittings, ready do do something with.....:?

if you can't get yours fixed, I bet you could find another unit on Ebay or similar, for not too much money.
Sorry I can't really help you with advise about a fix.
:waving:
I wish there was a newer model that could do what my 2610 does. I really like the different things that I can choose to display on the screen. It has a lot more Navigation functions than the newer ones.Itdon't play MP3's and it won't show pictures of my kids, but....for navigation it isway above anything I have seen lately.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

da_bull wrote:
My 2720 thinks I am pushing an area on the screen all the time. I can see (in the right light) a very small area that looks like a small crease. You REALLY have to look to find it, but its there. A couple of questions:

1. Is the outer touch screen portion non-electronic and able to be straightened out? Like removing it from the electronic part and either flipping over or something similar?

2. If not, can it be replaced? I am buying a 2610 from a friend, thinking that I can just replace the screen portion. I dont think the electronic portion is the same, the 2720 has far better graphics, plus the "3-D" view that the 2610 does not.
The screen is multi-layer but it is bonded together. I don't believe there is any way to fix it without replacing the screen. If the 2610's screen is different then it won't work, sorry.

John

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,856 Posts
imported post

Larry22935 wrote:
I wish there was a newer model that could do what my 2610 does. I really like the different things that I can choose to display on the screen. It has a lot more Navigation functions than the newer ones.Itdon't play MP3's and it won't show pictures of my kids, but....for navigation it isway above anything I have seen lately.
I have to add a +1 to that Larry,

My 2730 runs circles around everything that has been produced since that model. No MP3s or Bluetooth, but for navigation, it just cannot be beat.

I love all of the hard push buttons on the front that puts you where you want, when you want, w/o having to go back, back, back, back,.......

My 2730 has a bad power connector on it now, really irks me too. Thinking about opening it up and installing a hard wired cord to it.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I found a Youtube video on replacing the digitizer. I cant seem to find a source for a new digitizer. I took it apart last night, and the digitizer can be replaced in under an hour, but I cant find a new one.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
My 2730 has a bad power connector on it now, really irks me too. Thinking about opening it up and installing a hard wired cord to it.
Have you used a pencil eraser on the connectors? That connector (unlike the mini-USB port) is fairly robust.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Larry22935 wrote:
I have to add a +1 to that Larry,

My 2730 runs circles around everything that has been produced since that model. No MP3s or Bluetooth, but for navigation, it just cannot be beat.

I love all of the hard push buttons on the front that puts you where you want, when you want, w/o having to go back, back, back, back,.......

John we need to start a petition, get everyone that owns a M/C to sign it electronicallyand senda copy to Garmin. Maybe then they will understand that there is a bigmarket for a quality GPS that has serious "Navigation Features"without wasting money on"Eye Candy". I would even go for a larger screen version of my GPS Map 76.

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

da_bull wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
Have you used a pencil eraser on the connectors? That connector (unlike the mini-USB port) is fairly robust.
and check the cord. I've found that most of the time with that connector the problem is on the cord side. That flat trim that holds it in place comes loose from the cord, so it doesn't hold the contacts to the contacts on the GPS properly.

John

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,856 Posts
imported post

Tht flat trim piece is indeed the problem, but the shell retainer that the cord plug slides under is now worn out.

At one point I tried to silicone the connector in place to prevent the cord from wiggling. That lasted a couple of years.

I've quit using it which is a shame, it has life time maps on it.

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Tht flat trim piece is indeed the problem, but the shell retainer that the cord plug slides under is now worn out.

At one point I tried to silicone the connector in place to prevent the cord from wiggling. That lasted a couple of years.

I've quit using it which is a shame, it has life time maps on it.
By a cheap broken unit on ebay. I've gotten lots of parts from doing that and made a couple of complete working units that way. For you buying one with a broken screen would be perfect, because you'd likely get a good case and working electronics. You can still buy the motorcycle cables too, so you can replace that part with a new one if you wish.

John

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Well, I cant believe I didnt think of it before. They've been around since 1939, every single one of you guys and gals have at least one within 50 feet of you right now, they're cheap, easy to find new, sometimes hard to find after they come home.

Give up?

Remote control!! I'd forgot that they come with a remote control. Every function works like a champ, and I have two (2610 and 2720 both came with one). This will serve its purpose until I can either find a digitizer or a new GPS for the money. I hate it that I bought the lifetime maps for this one, and it looks like I'll have to do it again with a new GPS...

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

da_bull wrote:
Remote control!! I'd forgot that they come with a remote control. Every function works like a champ, and I have two (2610 and 2720 both came with one). This will serve its purpose until I can either find a digitizer or a new GPS for the money. I hate it that I bought the lifetime maps for this one, and it looks like I'll have to do it again with a new GPS...
Just buy a malfunctioning one from ebay that has a good screen, then you can change out the screen to your current unit so you still have the lifetime maps.

Here's one for $40 & free shipping.

John

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Thanks John, I'll dig into that as well...

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
imported post

i bought a streetpilot c550 on flee bay for 43$ and works like a new one. the battery is due to be replaced but i just plug into power port and good to go. blutooth ready but hard to hear even turned up all the way.i have an add on intagrator that has a lead coming to plug in for headset. it is from what i'm told is the same plug as on the 1800's under left pocket.can get the cord from cyclemax to make connection for 27$,just mite wait till next season since wont need it when it gets colder.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
imported post

I have had 2 Garmin (2610 & 2730 now) units and each were used on 1500's through the J&M integration units. I love the buttons and ease of used, especially the MP3 audiobooks.
Now, I have not used nor seen a Zuma 550 supposed to be the best on the market. That would be my next purchase if mine goes down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.