Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Gentlemen,

Upon cleaning my 2003 I noticed a crack in the fiberglass starting from the antenna bracket mount going towards the back of the bike. It's about 2" long and is much more visible on the inside of the trunk. I'm not sure why this happened but I'm concerned that the crack will continue to spread. Has this happened to anyone and what do you recommend to keep the situation from getting worst? I was thinking about putting some crazy glue on the inside to stabilize the spreading process. Any other suggestions? Scope Down BH

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

I wasn't aware of any fiberglass on the wings. It's mostly ABS.

I avoid the use of crazy glue when more appropriate products are available. A more knowledgeable member should be along soon with some suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I'm not familiar with the 1800, but if it's ABS like the 1200, grab some acetone and ABS pipe from home depot. Get some shavings from the pipe, mix it with the accetone until it's somewhere between pancake batter and elmer's glue, then apply to the crack with a putty knife. This isn't very pretty, so unless you're looking to do paint and body work I'd say do it from the inside, but that should at least keep the problem from getting worse.

I'd wait til someone more experenced backs that idea up if I were you, but that's what I'd do.

·
751 Posts
imported post

Contact Dusty Boots as he has Done a repair on his 1500 ! Oh on your 1800 its not fiberglass but abs plastic only the yes on all touring bikes Honda /yamaha /Harley/Kaw /Victory why its not fiberglass not sure only the big bike makers could tell you that but anyway others will be along with other fix options as to what theyve done ! Oh I did make a plastic repaire on my bike with a product I got at ace hardware its called Devon plastic welder the stuff Igot dries to cream color so you may want to check out other kinds of the same stuff to give you the drying color you want anyway good luck in your quest for a repair on you Bike !

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

all of the Hondas used ABS plastic for bodywork. You can use ABS plumbing cement which is available at most home centers or you can use plastex . both work well but Plastex is what i prefer.

steve

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

Not to argue but, My 86' 1200 sei has fiberglass in the Tank Shroud. Everything else is ABS but the false tank is definetly fiberglass. There is a break on the Left front though hidden It's structural and therefor worrisome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.