Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Very active member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

does anyone have, or seen anywhere, info on forward controls for their wing? i would like to get a little more comfortable on my rides. i think if i could stretch out a litlte that might help. i have seen on ebay that there are some for probably every other bike out there, but didnt see anything about the wing. even highway pegs dont really help because they arent very comfortable. didnt know if anyone has had any ideas about this.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

It's been mentioned before and I think there have been a few that custom made some, but they likely don't work well on the Wing because of the flat 4/6 engines sticking out the sides.

There are some comfortable stretch out pegs depending on how you mount them or the type. The easiest answer is Mick-O-Pegs, but they are expensive. Probably the next best answer is the Kuryakyn Longhorn Dually cruise pegs. They can be mounted way up on the front of your crash bar allowing you to stretch your legs, and have lots of adjustments for positioning them to your tastes.

John

·
Banned
12,287 Posts

·
12,840 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Looks nice. I wonder how they would hold up to dropping your bike?
I was wondering the same thing. As has already been said many times in this forum, there are two kinds of 'wingers, those who have dropped their bikes, and those that will drop them. I'm very much part of the first group, and I can't imagine pulling the bars, that's just asking for trouble.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I'm more concerned about cooking the inside of my calves. My valve covers get H-O-T.

Anyone wanting to go with forwards ain't too worried about dropping their bike enough to shy away from doing it. For me, the position just doesn't work (aside from the heat issue). I've tried it and don't like it.

My 'Wing is big, it's heavy, ...and my feet are closer to the ground in the factory position when I need to put 'em down quick. Nothing about in-town riding and forward controls works for me. My Harley doesn't even have them. I do heel-shift with that though on occasion. If it's (the GL) on the highway, then what little shifting I do once rollin' is not worth the nuisance of having controls forward. Highway pegs work just fine for me to stretch out (again, aside from the heat issue). I'm making me a set of pegs that'll put my feet outside of and in the middle, towards the top of the valve covers, more or less. That'll put my short legs where I like 'em and keep my calves from cooking.

A "one size fits all" with this stuff doesn't work for me. I gotta have it all fit, so I tailor it to do so.

·
Very active member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

You guys make valid points. I'm starting to rethink the whole idea now, especially at the price. They sure do look nice, but as said earlier, that would be bad to be dropped on. guess ill keep looking for some different pegs.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Keep us posted if you find somthing good, I have the same problem with my wing, from the waist up it's like riding a harley, from the waist down it's like ridin' a crotch rocket. My legs is just a little too long for that setup.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
Keep us posted if you find somthing good, I have the same problem with my wing, from the waist up it's like riding a harley, from the waist down it's like ridin' a crotch rocket. My legs is just a little too long for that setup.
A custom seat built for your inseam length will help that the most. I used to get stiff knees when riding long distance until I got a seat built for me. It's taller than the stock seat and now my knees stay in a much more natural angle and the stiff knee pain is gone.

John

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

A custom seat built for your inseam length will help that the most.
It probably would, but have a look at my avitar pic. That seat is factory, in darn good condition, and came with a matching set of chaps, vests, and gloves from the factory (even a his and hers set). And, I've yet to see another LTD with that seat, it almost seems like sacrilege to remove it :).

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

I think some one makes a set for a Valkyrie.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
A custom seat built for your inseam length will help that the most.
It probably would, but have a look at my avitar pic. That seat is factory, in darn good condition, and came with a matching set of chaps, vests, and gloves from the factory (even a his and hers set). And, I've yet to see another LTD with that seat, it almost seems like sacrilege to remove it :).
I hear you there. The OEM seat on my 86 and the OEM seat on my 2000 were both in fantastic condition. The upgrade was well worth it to me though. Something you might try is a seat cushion that puts you higher and see if it helps. That would let you know if a custom seat would help. :waving:

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.